Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew-on-premise planning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
ULynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew-on-premise planning

Greetings all,

I'm in the planning stages for opening a new brew-on-premise shop in the midwest US. The concept is similar to the Canadian-style BOP, but using partial-mash techniques, quality ingredients, staffed by reasonably knowledgeable homebrewers, all performed with care and excellent hygeine. We'd like to emphasize craft beers, offer lager options and welcome recipe modifications. We'll only grudgingly allow Bud/Miller/Coors clones.

The initial plan is limited to BOP operations. Later stages may include small scale local distribution, then brewpup and restaurant expansion.

I need help in developing financials for this plan. It's proving difficult to find startup costs for equipment, and even harder finding detailed info on production costs, ingredient costs, etc. I need some clues to determine how many units at what price point are required to break even.

Anyone here been involved with the business side of a BOP? Would anyone have a business plan for a similar shop they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance for any info y'all can offer.

Dan Lynch
Nevada City, CA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2005, 03:20 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Check the thread on Female homebrewers, there's a post about a BOP shop in New Jersey. Maybe they can help.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-24-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Rookie
Recipes 

Like any startup, figure out how much you think it will cost and then expect a 2 or 3 hundred percent over run and hope that is all.
I hope you succeed. Good luck.

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
chickmag
Recipes 

Hi - I have a comprehensive spreadsheet w/ P&L, balance sheet, revenue assumptions, startup costs - about everything you'd need for your analysis. My cost assumptions are out of date by about 10 years (I did this business case in 1994 in Arizona.)

Send me a PM w/ your email and I'll forward it to you.

Regards,
Mike

Old 06-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
jgarcia7
Recipes 

Default Do you still have your plan

Hi Dan, I was thinking about starting a BOP in the New York area and wanted to see if you ever received these figures from the person who sent them to you and also wanted to see if you would be willing to share them with me. Thanks very much

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULynch View Post
Greetings all,

I'm in the planning stages for opening a new brew-on-premise shop in the midwest US. The concept is similar to the Canadian-style BOP, but using partial-mash techniques, quality ingredients, staffed by reasonably knowledgeable homebrewers, all performed with care and excellent hygeine. We'd like to emphasize craft beers, offer lager options and welcome recipe modifications. We'll only grudgingly allow Bud/Miller/Coors clones.

The initial plan is limited to BOP operations. Later stages may include small scale local distribution, then brewpup and restaurant expansion.

I need help in developing financials for this plan. It's proving difficult to find startup costs for equipment, and even harder finding detailed info on production costs, ingredient costs, etc. I need some clues to determine how many units at what price point are required to break even.

Anyone here been involved with the business side of a BOP? Would anyone have a business plan for a similar shop they'd be willing to share?

Thanks in advance for any info y'all can offer.

Dan Lynch
Nevada City, CA

Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
kcreary
Recipes 

Default Just curious...

Barry,
Did you ever get started on your idea for a BOP?
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia7 View Post
Hi Dan, I was thinking about starting a BOP in the New York area and wanted to see if you ever received these figures from the person who sent them to you and also wanted to see if you would be willing to share them with me. Thanks very much

Barry

Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
mattsf21
Recipes 

Default Very Interested

I was also thinking of starting a similar but slight different business. I was wondering how this has gone for some of you and if any one had any helpful info they'd be willing to share (financial, legal etc.). I'm more of an entrepreneur than a brewer, but I've been working on this project for several months now and would really like to get it started once I graduate in a few month. Thank you very much in advance to anyone that has any help and I look forward to talking to some of you soon.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think this may be a record: 7 (now 8) posts in a thread, 4 of them by first time posters.

I'm guessing this shows up when one googles "Planning a Brew on premise" or similar. Best of luck everyone. BOP's don't seem that popular... I think they are an excellent idea in principle, but you need a very high demand to keep one open.

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 05-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

why would you pay some one to let you brew there?

Old 05-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
why would you pay some one to let you brew there?
People don't have room or equipment to do it themselves. Perhaps they want to pursue the hobby, but are hesitant. These places will let you try it out, ferment your beer at the right temperature, and you will walk out with a couple of bottled cases of beer. Not bad for the casual brewer or as a gift.

Quick Reply