Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #1101
MrInternet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread reminds me of why I rarely have the stomach for hanging out with "beer geeks" in real life anymore... seriously people, if you've really got nothing better to say than "I can brew better beer than DFH" or "all their beers are 'meh'", then just leave and find a thread about something super geeky that will make you feel important and superior and stop acting like a horse's ass in a thread about a show a lot of us are glad to see happening.

I mean really, even if their beers aren't all "Great" (whatever that means) instead of "Good" ... even if you don't "like" them (again, whatever that means) ... even if the format seems formulaic and cheesy ... even if it's made to be more "dramatic" intentionally to hype up the show ... even IF ALL THAT'S TRUE:

so what?

I'm serious... who cares? Isn't the overriding point here that there is a SHOW ABOUT BREWING BEER ON TV?? Not just any old beer... creative, crazy, unconventional craft brewing?? Isn't that why all of us love this hobby, at least partly? Isn't it amazing that in a beer market where 95% of the sales are macrobrews that follow a scientific formulation that produces a predictable, low-flavor product (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just the style people expect), that we get to watch a show about a crazy brewer who's following his passion, doing something we all love, and getting to bring a very well-produced show to market to showcase it?

You should love this show and the fact that it's on the air even if you HATE DFH beers... it can only be good for craft brewing, home brewing, and getting people to try new beers. If it's not about that, then what the hell is this hobby about anyway? Seriously people, get over yourselves. I end by quoting myself from early in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInternet View Post
It's been my experience that there are two types of "beer geeks":

1) Those who spend the majority of their time talking about how amazing and awesome beer is, and

2) Those who spend the majority of their time looking down their nose at 99% of beer and talking about how much beer sucks

If you've ever been curious about which one you are, watch this show.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #1102
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaSaxa View Post
I toured the brewery the week after they dumped this beer and they were talking about it on the tour. The staff seemed genuinely upset about it and everyone I spoke to indicated that they did indeed dump the whole batch.

Could it be an elaborate rouse to get more people to believe their standards are high and therefore buy more DFH beer? Maybe, but I tend to believe the simplest answer is the correct one... they dumped it to make room for something else on their brew schedule. Besides, they're selling more than their capacity right now, so I'm not sure it would make that much difference.

FWIW, I love 90 minute IPA and think it is one of the best/better DIPAs out there. The rest of their stuff is good, but kind of weird. That said, I respect the hell out of anyone with a dream who through sweat and hard work, built a successful business. I think the DFH haters out there need to think about the level of effort required to build something from nothing before they start spewing hate. If you don't like their beers, so be it... but you gotta respect what Sam and DFH has accomplished as a craft brewer.
Statement in bold: Ah, the old Occam's Razor.

I'm going to have to play middle-ground in this discussion.

HoyaSaxa, being an eyewitness to the disparity of the workers in real-life I'm going to have to agree mostly with you. I'm willing to bet more than 3/4 of the batch was dumped and so the workers still took a huge hit, with DFH being a profit-share company (love that idea, too. Really gets people motivated to work hard.)

For the remainder of the batch... I like stageseven's theory. The DFH Ale seems like it fits the bill:

"This Double IPA is rich honey amber in color..... Citrus, apricot and piney aromas lead in to a malty well hopped body and the beer finishes with a dry bitter end"

From what I remember that seems very much like the flavor and color profile of 120

"The body of 60 Minute IPA, the alcohol of 90 Minute IPA, and the hops of 120 Minute IPA."

They hopped it for 120, fermentation stalled at the ABV% of 90, giving it the heavy/sweet body of 60.

Well played

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #1103
BlackJackBrews
Recipes 

Quote:
This thread reminds me of why I rarely have the stomach for hanging out with "beer geeks" in real life anymore...
Totally agree. I think this is the difference between a beer geek and a beer snob. I love being around people that are passionate about the beers they like and want me to try them. I can't stand hanging around people that call my favorite craft brews "pedestrian" and scoff at everything I have in my fridge.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #1104
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are people really that uptight about beer? I haven't met any, most craft beer enthusiasts I've met are easy going.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #1105
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
This thread reminds me of why I rarely have the stomach for hanging out with "beer geeks" in real life anymore... seriously people, if you've really got nothing better to say than "I can brew better beer than DFH" or "all their beers are 'meh'", then just leave and find a thread about something super geeky that will make you feel important and superior and stop acting like a horse's ass in a thread about a show a lot of us are glad to see happening.

I mean really, even if their beers aren't all "Great" (whatever that means) instead of "Good" ... even if you don't "like" them (again, whatever that means) ... even if the format seems formulaic and cheesy ... even if it's made to be more "dramatic" intentionally to hype up the show ... even IF ALL THAT'S TRUE:

so what?

I'm serious... who cares? Isn't the overriding point here that there is a SHOW ABOUT BREWING BEER ON TV?? Not just any old beer... creative, crazy, unconventional craft brewing?? Isn't that why all of us love this hobby, at least partly? Isn't it amazing that in a beer market where 95% of the sales are macrobrews that follow a scientific formulation that produces a predictable, low-flavor product (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just the style people expect), that we get to watch a show about a crazy brewer who's following his passion, doing something we all love, and getting to bring a very well-produced show to market to showcase it?

You should love this show and the fact that it's on the air even if you HATE DFH beers... it can only be good for craft brewing, home brewing, and getting people to try new beers. If it's not about that, then what the hell is this hobby about anyway? Seriously people, get over yourselves. I end by quoting myself from early in this thread:
Personally I don't mind at all if people express their opinions about the show, either positive or negative. What really annoys me however is when someone tells me what to do.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #1106
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Personally I don't mind at all if people express their opinions about the show, either positive or negative. What really annoys me however is when someone tells me what to do.
Don't worry, that guy doesn't realize he is the type of person that he hates the most.

This is a "discussion" board.
an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., esp. to explore solutions; informal debate.

Not a Sam Calagione ego stroking board.

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #1107
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Regarding Poppa Skull:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKsuburbannoise View Post
bought 2 of them last time I was at 3 Floyds. Had one today. I wasn't too impressed. It has an odd taste. The carbanation reminded me of a beer that hasn't been in bottles long. I did think that it tasted better as it got warmer.
My friend brought back a bottle from DFH's brew pub. I thought it was really, really good (he did too). One of the small number of DFH's beers I've enjoyed. To each their own!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #1108
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 374

YOU SHOULD LOVE THIS SHOW!

lol

did he really quote himself?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #1109
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
YOU SHOULD LOVE THIS SHOW!

lol

did he really quote himself?
Yes he did! LOL

Quote:
I end by quoting myself from early in this thread:

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #1110
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
+1 to this brother.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Quick Reply