Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #1011
ubermick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I had to go to bed before the end of the show and sorry for asking if this has already been said but did they figure out why the yeast failed to do the job? Can they continue to risk $$ on such a risky brew??
They didn't give any reason for it, but given the fact that it had high unfermentable sugars (they added more yeast to the test batch in the lab, which didn't work, and mentioned afterwards that they tried yeast fuel and that even if they added "a million times more yeast" that it wouldn't make a difference) the only explanation is that they mashed too high.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #1012
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
They didn't give any reason for it, but given the fact that it had high unfermentable sugars (they added more yeast to the test batch in the lab, which didn't work, and mentioned afterwards that they tried yeast fuel and that even if they added "a million times more yeast" that it wouldn't make a difference) the only explanation is that they mashed too high.
Sounds like a lot of costly mistakes. I wonder if anyone got a warning or fired? I know if a stupid mistake on my part cost my company 500k I would be out the door or have at least one foot out.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #1013
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3284 Times on 2047 Posts
Likes Given: 2802

I can't believe a little amylase enzymes wouldn't have broken the big sugars up and made that beer more fermentable.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #1014
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Sounds like a lot of costly mistakes. I wonder if anyone got a warning or fired? I know if a stupid mistake on my part cost my company 500k I would be out the door or have at least one foot out.
Nah, that is bad business practice. I bet you whoever botched the batch wont make the same mistake twice.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #1015
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
Anyone here been to the DFH Alehouse in Gaithersburg, MD recently? I was there about 3 weeks ago and they had a beer on tap that was simply called "Dogfish Head Ale". I asked the bartender about it and he told me they haven't really been given much info about it, but the rumor was that it was from a batch of 120 that didn't turn out correct.
I was there a few weeks ago when I was visiting friends. Our server described the Dogfish Head Ale as having something from the 60 (I don't remember what she said), the alcohol of the 90 and the hops of the 120... you might be on to something here.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #1016
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
I was there a few weeks ago when I was visiting friends. Our server described the Dogfish Head Ale as having something from the 60 (I don't remember what she said), the alcohol of the 90 and the hops of the 120... you might be on to something here.
Sounds an awful lot like they just blended a batch of 60 with the failed batch of 120, which is what Sam proposed as they were sitting around the conference table. Wow, if that's the case I'd be very disappointed - smile for the cameras, and give 'em a song and dance about the honour of DFH and how they would never sell a product that was in any way defective, and show some beer being dumped. Soon as the camera's off, turn off the valve, and salvage the beer.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #1017
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

News flash, reality TV isn't real.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 12-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #1018
knelson
Recipes 

I thought it was funny that when they sat down to taste the 3 year vertical (06' 07' and 08' i think) that they preferred the oldest. That beer needs some age on it in my opinion. Of course the 4 year old bottle tasted the best.

The other thing I didnt understand is that they did not have an 09' bottle. When he was holding the 08' version, he made a comment that it was a year to the day that the last batch was brewed. What happened to the 09?

Was I seeing things or was it the delicious Bourbon Cty Vanilla stout I was drinking?

If you love all things beer... Click here to check out my blog!!!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #1019
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
I guess that I am puzzled by the fact that if you had what the brewmasters were deeming "good beer" that you would still dump it. Why not bottle or keg it and make it available to employees? I am assuming that it made more sense from a financial standpoint to free up the tanks for another beer but I was cringing when I saw them dumping so much product (they obviously were too). Montanaandy
I bet a couple employees took some home in growlers.

I think this show must have been filmed in early 2009. The tree-house was in Beer Wars and there was a February 2009 date on one of the beer cases.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #1020
GaryJohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I can't believe a little amylase enzymes wouldn't have broken the big sugars up and made that beer more fermentable.
That's what I was wondering...you'd think they'd add something to the beer to break down the unfermentables rather than dump the batch (travesty!!).

THey should have bottled it and donated it or something. People would have loved to drink that beer. Give it to homeless people...or someone! What a waste...

Quick Reply