Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #1001
Mmenges
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I find it laughable that so many people on here are criticizing DFH for dumping the beer. I've read people saying it should've been blended or sold as a special edition.

Every poster on here would be blasting Sam for not sticking to selling high quality beer if that had gone out the door. I give him credit for making the decision to dump it instead of selling an inferior product.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #1002
JeffBeck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Are full episodes available on the net for viewing?

An Old Rasputin a day keeps the doctor away!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #1003
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
Thought it was interesting that the brewmaster was shielding the mash temp from the camera - claimed that it was proprietary. Any guesses at what mash temp they mash that beast at? Montanaandy
Whatever it was, I bet it was lower than the batch that they dumped!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #1004
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmenges View Post
I find it laughable that so many people on here are criticizing DFH for dumping the beer. I've read people saying it should've been blended or sold as a special edition.

Every poster on here would be blasting Sam for not sticking to selling high quality beer if that had gone out the door. I give him credit for making the decision to dump it instead of selling an inferior product.
I don't think that there is much disagreement that there was no way they should have put it out as DF 120 - it would have kill the brand/segment for that beer.

I do believe that the beer was really, really lousy - otherwise they would have tried to salvage it in some manner. What that would have consisted of, who knows? When you are running a $12 mil per year business you don't just throw away $500K without exhausting all reasonable resources. Montanaandy

Old 12-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #1005
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 392

i bet if it wasn't on camera, he might have tried to do something with it.

you're telling me sam is creative enough to put out some of the weird things he's put out, but not enough to do something with an off-flavored 120?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #1006
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
Whatever it was, I bet it was lower than the batch that they dumped!
No doubt, although they seemed to be stressing the difficulties that they have with the yeast producing such an off the charts, high alcohol beer such as 120. Montanaandy

Old 12-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #1007
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
i bet if it wasn't on camera, he might have tried to do something with it.

you're telling me sam is creative enough to put out some of the weird things he's put out, but not enough to do something with an off-flavored 120?
Good point. Just as they were not going to say that they produced lousy beer while the cameras were rolling they probably would have tried to salvage it if the cameras are not rolling. Much better PR to say that we are going to take a $500K hit because this does not meet our standards than to say that we are going to figure out a way to use this lousy beer somehow. Montanaandy

Old 12-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #1008
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone here been to the DFH Alehouse in Gaithersburg, MD recently? I was there about 3 weeks ago and they had a beer on tap that was simply called "Dogfish Head Ale". I asked the bartender about it and he told me they haven't really been given much info about it, but the rumor was that it was from a batch of 120 that didn't turn out correct. So my gut tells me that perhaps they didn't pour ALL of the bad beer, that they might have salvaged some of it and spun it off as something else. I did try it, and it was certainly a different type of brew for Dogfish, it was rather boring, it was definitely missing something.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #1009
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had to go to bed before the end of the show and sorry for asking if this has already been said but did they figure out why the yeast failed to do the job? Can they continue to risk $$ on such a risky brew??

Old 12-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #1010
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_hockey View Post
Not 100% sure that comes from the retail price. They said they dumped 400 bbl (12400 gallons), roughly 132,266 12 ounce bottles at roughly $8.50 a bottle. (Guestimate based on an average cost of a bottle retail, - a 15% markup) Brings the loss up to just over $1,000,000. If you look at a clone recipe and do the math on a 10 gal recipe vs a 12400 gal you will see that it costs roughly 35k in grain alone, after other factors including water hops labor utilities I'm willing to bet its close to 500k. Seeing as how its such a time intensive beer (I know I've tried to clone it.) I'm sure the labor is outrageous.
That makes more sense, and I didn't mean you shouldn't factor in lost profit or the opportunity cost consumed by that batch. I understand their resources are constrained, but clearly they did not incur the cost of finishing and distributing (including the retail markup) the beer yet, both variable costs.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Chocolate Cherry Stout

Quick Reply