The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew Masters on Discovery w/ Sam Calagione

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #991
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just because they didn't show it doesn't mean they didn't fill 50 1/2BBL kegs for special occasions and brewpub sales. They will just never label it 120 minute.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #992
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 865 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1920

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwx View Post
. . . I thought it was funny at the end when they were testing the new batch in the tree house with the surfers, Sam was doing the usual shakedown of a beer that a craft beer lover would do, the other guys were trying to gulp the brew down like they were on spring break or something. . .
I had the same reaction! Sam goes on and on about the aroma, flavor, etc., and asks "what do you think?" and the answer is something like "its good." HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #993
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
I think that $500K number comes from using the retail price of $9.99/bottle. Obviously the batch did not cost the brewery that much at that point in production and distribution cycle. Still, a fair chunk of change for a small business.
It absolutely did. Something else to keep in mind, though, is that DFH is a profit-sharing company so their employees get paid based on how much they sell. So, every time they dump beer the employees see it as "lost" money (even though they never had that money to begin with).

It's not quite the same as your paycheck getting cut in half as most people are paid at a fixed rate. These guys may have a fix rate pay but they also have a variable amount coming from the profit sharing. I'm sure that makes little difference to the DFH employees. They see it as a pay cut. Hence the drama.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #994
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My first taste of 120 was not a good one. It tasted like bad cough syrup. The a few months ago at a beer bar here in dc some brewers who were in town brought out a 2003 vintage of 120. THE hops were much more subdued and it was quite good. Its definitely something to treat as more of a liquor. Age it and sip it.

Bottled
Scottish 60 shilling
Black Butte Porter clone
British Bitter (split into two batches with Thames valley and Burton ale yeast)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #995
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Didn't you mean "you're games."

I agree, pretty cool episode so far....

A little bit of brewing process, troubleshooting, etc...
nope
On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #996
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
It absolutely did. Something else to keep in mind, though, is that DFH is a profit-sharing company so their employees get paid based on how much they sell. So, every time they dump beer the employees see it as "lost" money (even though they never had that money to begin with).

It's not quite the same as your paycheck getting cut in half as most people are paid at a fixed rate. These guys may have a fix rate pay but they also have a variable amount coming from the profit sharing. I'm sure that makes little difference to the DFH employees. They see it as a pay cut. Hence the drama.
I say it again, going from $0 in 1995 to over $12 million in annual sales, with over 100% growth - yes, doubling - every year since 2003, this company and its employees are not going to be hurt by the loss of this brew. It is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #997
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltim View Post
this is what I'm wondering. they have a brewpub that they test beers on. Admit the mistake, keg it, maybe add something like this quote says, and sell it at $1 or $2 on tap at the eatery? who would complain? they'd make much of that back.
Remember, there are no mistakes in brewing, there are only limited special releases
First off - That was a GREAT show! IMO each episode is better than the last. Maybe they are doing that intentionally. I don't surf, but those boards were pieces of art.

I was thinking the same thing. Hard to know what to do without tasting it.

With the taste in my head - My ideas were:
1) Bottle it as Super Limited Edition "Sweet 120 min IPA" $15 a bottle. or
2) Bottle it as "oooooops 120 min IPA" Sell it at cost for promotional purposes (my beer shop says that DFH has been flying off the shelves since the show and can't keep any in stock).
Have a Holiday bomber pack with a "120" and a "oooooops 120." I know I would have bought it for myself and one for my brother in law.
Give it away on a brew tour so that people can taste the difference.
Have it as cheap beer at the restaurant.

I understand that they need to preserve the Brand and want to keep the highest quality standards. But I am from a "waste not, want not" frame of mind. I know I wanted to see what it tasted like (ironically it's the only DFH beer that I really want to taste). They made the decision that made financial sense. Oh well.

Anyone figure out what the $500,000 figure is? I was assuming that was the wholesale cost, but wondering what the actual cost of the batches that were tossed.

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #998
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

This episode was obviously filmed before the others, based on the treehouse was allready there in the others. I kind of wonder if the expansion they are doing in episode 2 or 3, was to add some tank space to hold an off brew like this til they can figure out what to do with it. 500k is alot to wash down the drain.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #999
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Anyone figure out the tax implications of writing off $500k.

Did dumping this hurt as bad as it sounds...

Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #1000
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Saving The Botched 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Just because they didn't show it doesn't mean they didn't fill 50 1/2BBL kegs for special occasions and brewpub sales. They will just never label it 120 minute.
From the looks on the faces of management as well as the brewery workers, I doubt that they kept any of it. While the brewmaster asst. stated that it was "good beer" I think that was more of a PR move. I mean they are not going to say that they produced "bad beer". The consensus among the tasters was that it was cloyingly sweet.

I also think that they would have pointed that out - the fact that they were salvaging some of it. No, I think that they actually poured $500K worth of beer down the drain.

I thought that it was interesting that they went back to an 06 batch for guidance. They did not like the later batches from what I can recall although I may be mistaken.

My take on all this was that this was an expensive wake-up call for them and that they have to be more careful with all of the balls that they are juggling (continually experimenting and trying to create new beers, producing proven favorites while at capacity, etc.). They took their eye off the ball on one of their flagship products and got burned.

Thought it was interesting that the brewmaster was shielding the mash temp from the camera - claimed that it was proprietary. Any guesses at what mash temp they mash that beast at? Montanaandy

Quick Reply