Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew House Beer Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Brew House Beer Kits

I hesitate to call it a kit. Can you all get these in the US? It is an all-grain high-gravity wort that comes in a 15L bag, and you add about 8L more water to it to make the starting amount. I say about because you can make a stronger beer with less water.

Anyway, I was running low on the kegged stuff and was going on a 5 day trip so I started a batch of their pale ale and pitched Danstar Windsor yeast into it and when I came back it was time to keg it. Total investment in time so far including clean-up about 15 minutes. It tastes like a respectable micro brew, and in my opinion you absolutely cannot do any better considering the time it takes to make a batch! I've hacked these in a number of ways with specialty grains and liquid yeasts and hop additions in the past, but for a quickie batch that keeps me away from $10 six packs I love 'em. My only caveat is throw away the Cooper's yeast that comes with them and go for a better brand.

Maybe you can bug your LHBS to carry a few for those times when you want to be drinking your own brew in less than two weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

That sounds interesting. But, I am in the hobby for the fun of brewing.

It might be a start for hacking as you said but other than that I'd rather just go to the liquor store and pick up a sixer.

BTW I have never seen them or heard of them before.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Brewhouse makes a very good product, as does Festa Brew. I've done a few Brewhouse kits for friends since I went AG and they always turn out great. Very high quality beer results from a meticulously fermented Brewhouse kit IMO.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've heard of this. I have an LHBS locally I go to, but there's another one up the road about 40 minutes. That guy is a tool, and I know he makes that in his basement to sell. But like I said, the guy's a tool, and I regret ever darkening his door in the first place.

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am not suggesting that this is a substitute for the hobby of craft brewing your own fine recipes. Rather, as I live in BC where a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale costs $18, this is a good way to get your keg filled with some nice stuff for under forty bucks and in less time than it takes to chill the boil. I'm one of a select few around here that do all grain brews, and love them. When I have 14 hours to spare I brew some great beers! When I have 4 hours to spare I do a DME brew. When I have no time to spare Brew House is a good alternative.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
I am not suggesting that this is a substitute for the hobby of craft brewing your own fine recipes. Rather, as I live in BC where a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale costs $18, this is a good way to get your keg filled with some nice stuff for under forty bucks and in less time than it takes to chill the boil. I'm one of a select few around here that do all grain brews, and love them. When I have 14 hours to spare I brew some great beers! When I have 4 hours to spare I do a DME brew. When I have no time to spare Brew House is a good alternative.
Don't apologize; the BH kits are excellent and if you are careful with fermentation you can make beer better than what 90% of AG brewers produce. The people producing the BH kits aren't doing it 5 gallons at a time.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply