brew day mishaps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leejr85

Reaction score
Any one else have any problems brewing this weekend? 1st time using a 2L yeast starter. Had the starter blow off yeast all over my wifes pillows in the closet, oops! Then when adding the starter to my wort, I had wet hands and lets say I dropped the whole growler in the wort. Made a huge mess on the floor and now risk infection in my beer. Just another day of homebrewing I guess. Now I really know the meaning of RDWHAHB! crossing my fingers that my beer truns out fine. Lucky my hands were wet with Onestep. But the growler wasn't saniatzed since I made the starter yesterday :mad:

not this weekend for me, went rather smoothly. Which was rather surprising! haha. well, i take that back, i tried a no chill in my bottling bucket... that didn't go so hot.... i blew the gasket out and had a small layer of wort the next morning on my closet (fermenting closet hah) floor. cleaned up nice and easy! but lets just say i went to us plastics and ordered some no chill buckets :) lol

leejr85 said:
Any one else have any problems brewing this weekend? 1st time using a 2L yeast starter. Had the starter blow off yeast all over my wifes pillows in the closet, oops! Then when adding the starter to my wort, I had wet hands and lets say I dropped the whole growler in the wort. Made a huge mess on the floor and now risk infection in my beer. Just another day of homebrewing I guess. Now I really know the meaning of RDWHAHB! crossing my fingers that my beer truns out fine. Lucky my hands were wet with Onestep. But the growler wasn't saniatzed since I made the starter yesterday :mad:

Yeah, my mishap was my son brought home the current stomach bug....I've spent the better portion of the weekend spending quality time with my toilet, not my brew gear as I was hoping. I wouldn't worry too much about your beer, it's more than likely to turn out just fine

Yeah, my mishap was my son brought home the current stomach bug....I've spent the better portion of the weekend spending quality time with my toilet, not my brew gear as I was hoping. I wouldn't worry too much about your beer, it's more than likely to turn out just fine
damn that sucks.... hope you feel better soon.

As for me, two years of brewing no problems....but now I'm typing with one hand because I have some second degree burns on my left hand .... guess i'm not gonna be making that recipie of Jamil's today. PLEASE PAY ATTENTION WHILE BREWING..it only took me 1 second of stupidity to lose the use of my hand for a few days.

Well speedy recovery for both of you. As for my beer 2hrs later already getting signs of activity in my airlock:rockin:. Man that headwaters ale wyeast from midwest is one active sob. Might think about a blowoff tube before I add one more mess to my brewing adventures.

This past Thursday it was freezing here in central Texas. So much so that they actually closed down the roads... which meant no work for me.

So I decided I was going to brew. I had been wanting to get a dark mild going anyway. Despite the freezing cold I decide to go fire up the propane burner and get my strike water heating. Well my burner has an electronic safety device. Because I had left the burner outside it got ice in it and shorted out after about 15 minutes. Now I can't use the burner. And I have 7lbs of grain milled.

Back