The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew club meetings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 259

Ours is really low key. Meet at the taproom of our local microbrewery. 6-12 of us. Generally 50-75% of us bring a sample or two. We usually start out by having a beer or two from the bar, then sample everyone's beers. Comment, critique, compliment on what we are trying. Basically B.S. about brewing, sharing tips, etc. for 1-2 hours. No formal anything. No minutes, No planning, no events. Basically just a group of homebrewers getting together, drinking beer, sharing beer, asking questions and sharing ideas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Our local meetings are pretty informal, and also only occur a few times a year depending on who's hosting. We encourage people to bring their best and their worst then we talk about what's good and how to achieve those goals as well as what's bad and how to fix problems. The more experienced tend to lead the discussion but it's far from structured.

Oh, and Halbrust. Hi from Aethelmearc!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

I started brewing a year ago and went to a meeting that my local club has in like February at our LHBS. There was about 30 people. I unfortunately ran into a couple know it alls who totally turned me off to the club and I haven't been back. First impressions are huge.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 1917

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmer9 View Post
I started brewing a year ago and went to a meeting that my local club has in like February at our LHBS. There was about 30 people. I unfortunately ran into a couple know it alls who totally turned me off to the club and I haven't been back. First impressions are huge.
Have you found another club? It would be a shame to let two people keep you from gaining the incredible benefits a club can offer.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #15
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I belong to two clubs. Club number one meets in a local homebrew store, we'll have about 10 people or so including the store owners, and we'll drink and critique member beers, and the occasional commercial offering if someone is out. The second club meets at a bar, we have about 15-20 people at a given meeting, we start with a mini-lecture (20 minutes or so on things like water chemistry, aeration techniques, etc), and then we'll hang around drinking member beers (and the occasional beer from the bar, maybe eat a burger, and so on).

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
You are likely to find these in every club, classroom, workplace, etc.
Just talk to the others, great benefit.

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My HBC meetings can be from 3 to 20 people. We power through "official business" as fast as possible so we can get to the social. However more often than not, someone will bring up "official business" as they think of things during the social.

I normally will bring a growler to share of something...Maybe 2. My meeting is tonight. Sometimes it is at a bar and sometimes at a members home. If at a bar I always try to buy a few new craft brews (since we meet at craft beer bars). Tonight I should finish my 200th different beer and get the T-shirt that goes with it.

Also the LHBS gives a 10% discount to any club member. I am also an employee of said LHBS.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
So the presence of a couple people that you don't like makes it impossible to find any benefit from being part of that group? It sounds like you are not a part of any group anywhere because people are highly variable and there's no such thing as a completely harmonious group. Go back and find the value.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Rev2010 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Club meetings for the club I am involved with the most are monthly. We would meet until early this month at our LHBS/brew pub. The meetings consist of discussing next brew day event (we try to have several) and whatever the topic of the meeting will be. It mostly consists of us drinking a pint or two from the brewery then sampling each others brews while interacting and discussing techniques and tips. 80% of those who come bring homebrew to sample and share. We are very informal for the most part and we have anywhere from 15-50 people at each meeting that vary from newbies just getting started to people who have brewed for years.

I recently also joined another smaller club. They meet at a brewery or at a members home depending on the month with 15 or so in attendance. They are a bit more formal and will have a topic for the month such as starters, DIY projects, events, and then sample each others brews.

I think anyone who brews should find and join a local club. Even if you don't learn anything from the members that help you along the path to creating superb brews meeting other like minded individuals who share the same passion can be priceless.

Quick Reply