Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew / Bottling day from hell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #1
jvp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Brew / Bottling day from hell

Hi y'all,

I was wondering if anyone had some brewing horror stories to share. I've only had one or two completely smooth brew days (granted, out of six or so) and most bottling days have been great. It seems sometimes you plan for everything and don't have a single hitch, while others nothing goes to plan.

Yesterday my SWMBO and I were bottling; she was filling and I was capping. At one point it dawned on us we needed more bottles stat, but we were out of sanitizing solution. I scrambled to get a light bleach solution ready and did; while I was doing this she continued bottling so I had a backlog to deal with. My winged style capper did something I'd only ever read about: it broke off a bottleneck. Bye-bye beer! It took several minutes to get the lid and neck out. I took a screwdriver and hammered it in to the creases in the cap to force out the glass and cap.

Eventually it all worked out but it was a frustrating experience. Anyone else have horror stories, from brew or bottling day (or any day in between)?

Primary: Cooper's Cerveza
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think my worst brew day was:

A friend and I were brewing a double batch. Black IPA in one kettle and porter in the other. The porter was boiling away while we were heating the water and steeping our grains for the IPA. As we started preparing to rinse our grains I noticed the porter had stopped boiling.... D*MN! Out of propane! To the BBQ! Stole that propane tank quickly and got the porter boiling again. Began rinsing the grains for the IPA very slowly when it dawned on me. I had been turning up the gas line to the porter because the flame was getting low, not realizing that the tank was getting empty. Now with a nice full tank the wort was MEGA BOILING!!! Sure enough, right as I realize this, boil over. As I go to move out of the way I drop some of the grains on the floor, and the porter starts to make my garage floor sticky. Gently set the grains down, got the porter back under control, and proceeded to finish rinsing the grains for the IPA.

Needless to say it was a pretty hectic 5 minutes.

Quick Reply