Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brew area in the "basement/Office"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
dpalme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brew area in the "basement/Office"

Ok, we have a bathroom that I had previously gutted, was going to redo it and we tore out the old dry wall, replaced the aluminum wiring, etc., I have finally received permission to put in whatever I want for my brewing!!!

The only problem is the room size is 5x6.5, now I can take out the two inside walls without any problems and open it up into the rest of the room and probably use a LITTLE of the office space, but not much with all my camera and video equipment.....

My question is, is this enough room? I can hook a burner up to the gas line and run it off natural gas, vent it for heat and fumes, and I already have water right there.....as for the toilet, no problem, we can just plug that over and its history....

This is what the room looks like:

ok the scetch I drew didn't work. I've attached a PDF with the layout.

I thought about taking out wall A and moving into the office by about 2 feet and building a bar to separate the cooking area from the office....

Thoughts? Or should I just wait until we find the property in the country and build that final home and add a place out back to do the brewing.....

File Type: pdf room layout.pdf (13.3 KB, 89 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

That's too small. You'll have all your stuff in your office. How important is your work? I'd assume less important than brewing. What I would do is move the office to the little room, and occupy the bigger room with brewing.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I just ran and measured my brewery/brewstand and took a picture so you can see my small area.

My stand is exactly 5 feet by 20". It has two pumps, a CFC, and a control panel all on a single tier. (The "tippy dump" MLT is a brand new feature!).

That's probably about the minimum footprint for a traditional 3 vessel system. It works very well for me. I don't have a ton of storage in that room, but I have one cabinet that holds pH meter, sanitizer, brewing salts, towels, hydrometer, etc. I bring the fermenters in when I use them. The hoses are hanging on the wall on the left to hook up the CFC. (My house isn't crooked- I must have been holding the camera crooked! )

dscn0313.jpg

Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
dpalme
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Could not possibly use the smaller room for the office, desk alone would not fit not to mention six computers, four printers, fax machine, four filing cabinets,and then all the camera and video gear.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
thetragichero
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

try to turn it into some sort of fermentation chamber?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 561 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, maybe a fermentation fridge and a wet bar with kegerator... After all, you'll get mighty thirsty working down there in your office, right?

Old 05-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
dpalme
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm always thirsty, so let's say I skip the boiling and heat source and just use it for a wet bar and fermentation area....that might actually work.....I could get a stainless steel sink and extender on that outside wall and there would be plenty of room behind the bar.

How wide should the bar be? I've never actually measured one.....

Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
dpalme
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I was also thinking of possibly changing from gas heat for the boil to electric, but I suppose the space still would not be big enough for that either eh?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
dpalme
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I might be able to get away with putting a sink and counter area on the back inside wall and a bar directly across from it. That would allow one or two fridges on the outside wall.......I wouldn't be "Brewing" in the space but I could do my cleaning, setup, fermentation, etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the speidel machines are great for small spaces, easy to use, electric, and wildly expensive. but really small footprint for a rims system, the size of one large kettle. you just need 220v and water+drain for cooling. certainly not ideal for everyone or every brew but might be worth considering, there's a giant pro/con thread here on hbt

Quick Reply