Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bready Yeast Smell

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
BertusBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bready Yeast Smell

I have been having a bit of an issue with some of my beers. A lot of my beers end up having a fairly strong bready yeast smell to them. The smell never really fades even after the beer has cleared. I often end up with beer that pours crystal clear from my keg but still smells like yeast. It doesn't taste like yeast but the smell is strong enough to make the final product a little less enjoyable. The last batch that this happened to was an IPA and it was dry hopped with 3oz of centennial. Does anybody know what is happening?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 406 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 324

How long do you leave it on the yeast in primary/secondary on average?
How closely do you control fermentation temps? What temp do you keep them at?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braufessor View Post
How long do you leave it on the yeast in primary/secondary on average?
How closely do you control fermentation temps? What temp do you keep them at?
I rarely secondary anymore, most of the time I leave my beer in the primary for about 2 to 5 weeks before kegging (depending on the style and my schedule)

I don't have any fermentation temp control but the ambient temp in my crawlspace where I ferment my beers is a pretty consistently between 66-68 degrees.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 406 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Generally, "yeasty" would be attributed to too much time on the yeast. 5 weeks "might" be getting a little long, but 2-4 should be fine. 68 degrees for ambient temp is getting on the high end. Beer can be at 5-10 degrees higher than ambient depending on how vigorous the fermentation is. That could maybe be driving some yeast off flavors. Also, unhealthy or underpitched yeast could be a possible culprit. If the yeast aren't healthy enough to "finish" the job, that could maybe be a problem. starter? yeast nutrient? O2?

Clean tap lines? Sometimes musty/moldy is described as "bready or yeasty"???

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm having a similar Problem, at the moment, there is a clear yeasty smell in the bottle.
the heat pad is directly under the barrel, and is controlled by a thermometer with a 1-1.5 (set 19-20C) degree variance. This is happening on APA's mainly using US-05. I dont think theres an infection etc. I first thought it was just a batch of yeast. its sits for 2 weeks normally and then gets bottled, everything is sterilised.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the heat pad being directly underneath it? heating the plastic, which heats the brew.
Its food grade plastic before anyone starts asking questions. the temp probe is attached and insulated to the side of the barrel, which eliminates the ambient differences in temperature.
the beer recently, was 1.043 OG. with 40IBU's
2lbs Light DME
3.3lbs Amber DME
6.5oz Biscuit Malt steeped 20 min
0.7oz nugget @ 60
0.5 Cascade @ 15
0.5 Cascade @5
0.5 Cascade @ flameout
1oz cascade dryhop.
and i used 1 package of US-05, rehydrated in 100ml of water.

Any ideas??

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I'm having a similar Problem, at the moment, there is a clear yeasty smell in the bottle.
the heat pad is directly under the barrel, and is controlled by a thermometer with a 1-1.5 (set 19-20C) degree variance. This is happening on APA's mainly using US-05. I dont think theres an infection etc. I first thought it was just a batch of yeast. its sits for 2 weeks normally and then gets bottled, everything is sterilised.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the heat pad being directly underneath it? heating the plastic, which heats the brew.
Its food grade plastic before anyone starts asking questions. the temp probe is attached and insulated to the side of the barrel, which eliminates the ambient differences in temperature.
the beer recently, was 1.043 OG. with 40IBU's
2lbs Light DME
3.3lbs Amber DME
6.5oz Biscuit Malt steeped 20 min
0.7oz nugget @ 60
0.5 Cascade @ 15
0.5 Cascade @5
0.5 Cascade @ flameout
1oz cascade dryhop.
and i used 1 package of US-05, rehydrated in 100ml of water.

Any ideas??
You're right at ideal temperatures, and the recipe is alright. So I have no idea. Unless it is that heating pad so close to the yeast. I mean, if the temperature indicator is on the side of the barrel, but the heating pad is on the bottom, maybe it's a lot warmer at the bottom than the top. Can you somehow change that so that the temperature probe reads where the heat is provided?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
crusader1612
Recipes 

That's what I think too its the only thing I can think of

Primary1: Black Sheep Yorkshire Brown Ale Primary2: 100% Brett B Trois Saison Secondary: Guts & Glory Flanders Red Ale Barrel Aging: Oud Bruin In the Bottle: Wild West Brett NZ-IPA /NZPale Ale /Shadow Liberation Bourbon Porter (#SJPORR) /Belgian Stout /Red Barron Oak Ale In Kegs: (1)Marching on Together Yorkshire Bitter (2) Red Barron Oak Ale (3) Nothing
Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You're right at ideal temperatures, and the recipe is alright. So I have no idea. Unless it is that heating pad so close to the yeast. I mean, if the temperature indicator is on the side of the barrel, but the heating pad is on the bottom, maybe it's a lot warmer at the bottom than the top. Can you somehow change that so that the temperature probe reads where the heat is provided?
I spoke to a couple of members of my HB Club, they said, if the heat pad is directly heating the barrel, it could overheat the trub at the bottom and create this yeasty smell. Is that true Yooper, cos it kind of makes sense?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1612 View Post
I spoke to a couple of members of my HB Club, they said, if the heat pad is directly heating the barrel, it could overheat the trub at the bottom and create this yeasty smell. Is that true Yooper, cos it kind of makes sense?
Yes, that's my guess as well. "cooking" the yeast on the bottom, so to speak, would cause some yeast flavors.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
crusader1612
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, that's my guess as well. "cooking" the yeast on the bottom, so to speak, would cause some yeast flavors.
Well I thought I would test a scenario out by putting the pad leaning against the wall of my small cabinet, and because the insulation isn't as good as it could be, there is only a very minor heat increase, in 24 hours. so I'm testing another scenario out, I have a wire fan guard, which I'm going to sit on the pad, which the brew will sit on top of, its flat, and hopefully will give me enough heat increase when required, and also offer a "No Yeast cooking" solution.

Kiwi Ingenuity at its Finest.
Putting a brew down tomorrow night, so will see what this scenario does for me.

Quick Reply