Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brazilian "Malzbier" recipe to homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Dougieb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brazilian "Malzbier" recipe to homebrew

My wife is from Brazil and I would like to surprise her with her favorite beer, a Malzbier. In Brazil, the two most famous brands are Antarctica and Brahma. (She prefers the Antarctica.) The Brazilian Malzbier is similar to the German Malzbier but the Brazilian has approximately 3.5% to 4% alcohol. (The German varieties are basically non-alcoholic as I understand it.)

I would GREATLY appreciate any info/help in this area. I am relatively new to the home brew world but am not afraid to try. I know she would appreciate.

I would even buy it for her but I do not think it is imported into the US.

Thanks,
Dougieb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's a schwarzbier I think. A black lager. But comes with a twist:

Cervejaria Antarctica’s great tradition launched in 1935 this beer comprised of sweet aroma and flavor and smooth bitterness. Antarctica Malzbier has a manufacturing process different from Pilsen style beer. During the brewing process, caramel syrup is added ensuring the differentiated flavor, color and aroma of the product. (AmBev - Companhia de Bebidas das Américas)

A lot of breweries list ingredients used which can then be put into a calculator to get the right ABV/SRM/IBU. This brewery lists the ingredients as:

"Water, malt, non-malted cereals, carbohydrates, hops, roasted malt and caramel."

Not real helpful. Thank god they reminded us of the water. Maybe start with a schwarzbier (theres one in my signature) and toy with the carmel syrup...say a pound...at 20 mins left in boil? The non-malted cerals would be...flaked barley?

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Dougieb
Recipes 

Thanks, VTBrewer. I appreciate the suggestions.

Malzbier is a very SWEET beer. ( I think that is why she likes it.) It is similar to Xingu but even sweeter if you can believe that.

Anyone else have anything?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think I may have been off on the swarzbier then.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 02-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
APendejo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I thought Maltz was the stuff kids in Germany mixed with 7-UP. Nasty stuff I tell ya.
AP

Old 02-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 35

When I saw your original post, I immediately thought Xingu (which I love) too.

If it's just like Xingu but sweeter and lower ABV, maybe use a clone recipe, but with a lower attenuation yeast?

-J

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here's a little poorly translated info on the German Malzbier which sounds very similar, but with less alcohol. There are also a few reviews of Antarctica at Beer Advocate. And a mailing list message with a little info.

Maybe somebody here could piece together a recipe based on that info? It almost sounds like you basically make the wort, minimally ferment it at very low temperature, then add coloring, sugar, and CO2. Would it be necessary to kill the yeast? Or would the temp and high sugar level take care of that?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
iasquith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default brazilian recipe malzbier

Hi, heres one i found for you here on our Orkut pages here in sao paulo , I dont know if its good, if you cant understand portuguese maybe your wife can translate the text for you o.k. Blas
20 litros de água

4 Kg de pilsen
0,6Kg de Vienna
0,5 Kg de carafa ( aqui talves valesse a pena colocar menos pois dá um gosto de torrado que não combina com a cerveja)
0,5 Kg de aveia
0,350 Kg de lactose
Lupulo usei 30 gramas 15 de cada amargor e aroma 60 minutos e 15 minutos
Fermento usei o Nothingan
Não tenho os dados de OG , FG e brassagem ., só me lembro que fermentei por 14 dias no primário , 7 dias no secundário e 3 dias na geladeira depois engarrafei algumas com 8 gr de Karo por garrafa de 500ml , a outra parte coloquei em um post mix consumido em um churrasco . Fazia uma espuma que dava gosto . Um abraço a todos Blas

Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Dougieb
Recipes 

Thank you everyone!
I am going to get my wife to translate that recipe and see how it reads.
I will post it back here for further comments.

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iasquith View Post
Hi, heres one i found for you here on our Orkut pages here in sao paulo , I dont know if its good, if you cant understand portuguese maybe your wife can translate the text for you o.k. Blas
20 litros de água

4 Kg de pilsen
0,6Kg de Vienna
0,5 Kg de carafa ( aqui talves valesse a pena colocar menos pois dá um gosto de torrado que não combina com a cerveja)
0,5 Kg de aveia
0,350 Kg de lactose
Lupulo usei 30 gramas 15 de cada amargor e aroma 60 minutos e 15 minutos
Fermento usei o Nothingan
Não tenho os dados de OG , FG e brassagem ., só me lembro que fermentei por 14 dias no primário , 7 dias no secundário e 3 dias na geladeira depois engarrafei algumas com 8 gr de Karo por garrafa de 500ml , a outra parte coloquei em um post mix consumido em um churrasco . Fazia uma espuma que dava gosto . Um abraço a todos Blas
Since it is a surprise... we should translate it with Google:

20 liters of water

4 kg of Pilsen
0.6 Kg of Vienna
0.5 kg of carafa (Perhaps here actually worth less because it gives a place like that not combines roasted with beer)
0.5 kg of oats
0.350 kg of lactose
Hops used 15 to 30 grams each bitterness and aroma 60 minutes and 15 minutes
Yeast used the Nothingan
I have data from GL, and FG brassage., I remember it ferment for 14 days in primary, secondary and 7 days in 3 days in the refrigerator after a few bottle of Karo with 8 gr per bottle of 500ml, the other part put in a post-mix used in a barbecue. It was a foam that was like. A hug to all B

Weird but understandable translation

Happy Brewing

Quick Reply