The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bourbon, Oak, and Vanilla Beans?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Wow! We are attempting almost the same brew.... I am using a oak spiral instead of cubes that I soaked in about 6 oz of Makers for two weeks. Then I added it to my primary. Been oaking for about 3 weeks. Monday I will add the 2 beans for the last two weeks then I'm racking, bottling, and giving it about 6 months to mature.

According to the website spirals are fully depleted after 6 weeks. Also what is your base beer? I used a malty scottish ale recipe with some smoked malt. You?
My base is kind of a hybrid between an Irish red and an English pail ale. It's an extract with specialty grains... Some Carmel, and chocolate malt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I brewed a dark ale,& at the same time soaked 4oz of medium toast French oak to 5 jiggers (7.5oz) of Beam's Black in an airtight container. I put the container in the fridge when I pitched on the ale. Left it there for the whole of primary fermentation. Then,poured the chips & bourbon through a hop sack into secondary. tied off the sack,& dropped it in,racking the ale on top of them. 8 days later,it was fairly strong.
So 2oz of the French oak,...I'd say 4-5ounces would be plenty to put a nice flavor on the back. It took the amount I used 9 weeks & 6 days,with 2 weeks in the fridge to carb up,get a decent head,& get the flavors rounded out.
I will def say that a good,strong malt backbone is a good thing. Even the dark ale I used as a base was a little light for 4oz chips,7.5oz bourbon.
The whole time the chips sat soaking in the bourbon,that 4oz of chips soaked up 2/3 of that Beam's black. But on the flip side,that bourbon soaks out some wood flavors. So adding all is the best thing. Just pour it through a muslin hop sack to keep the chips contained for obvious reasons.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
akardam
Recipes 

i'm wondering if the whisky-bourbon addition to the beer before bottling will kill off the yeast cells because of its high alcohol content and hence destroy any chance of the bottled beer to carb correctly.. or is the concentration to low in comparison with the volume of the rest of the beer? hmmm

Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Anyone know what the ideal amount of time to let a bourbon beer sit before drinking?

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
MississippiSlim
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I left my stout on oak chips for 14 days which was too long. A little too Oak-y. after 7 days in keg it was still too oak-y. I am hoping it will have mellowed a good bit. I am really planning it as a halloween beer so I still have time to let it age though. I dont have my rcipe but I brewed a stout then secondary over about 2 oz bourbon barrel chips and three vanilla beans. Added about a quarter of a fifth of evan williams at kegging along with some vanilla extract as neither the bourbon nor the vanilla was very pronounced in the beer at kegging. after a week I sampled and the vanilla was okay, the bourbon fairly pronounced but nothing too much. The oak as stated before was a little too much IMO. We will see.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #16
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiSlim
I left my stout on oak chips for 14 days which was too long. A little too Oak-y. after 7 days in keg it was still too oak-y. I am hoping it will have mellowed a good bit. I am really planning it as a halloween beer so I still have time to let it age though. I dont have my rcipe but I brewed a stout then secondary over about 2 oz bourbon barrel chips and three vanilla beans. Added about a quarter of a fifth of evan williams at kegging along with some vanilla extract as neither the bourbon nor the vanilla was very pronounced in the beer at kegging. after a week I sampled and the vanilla was okay, the bourbon fairly pronounced but nothing too much. The oak as stated before was a little too much IMO. We will see.
I only used one oz of med roast French oak chips. And I went heavy on the booze using pretty much an entire 350ml bottle of MM. It took some time to age and smooth out but it turned out awesome. About 8-10 weeks in the bottles for me.

Quick Reply