New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bourbon Oak Stout?




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
hoppenheimer
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bourbon Oak Stout?

http://brewersconnection.com/recipes/whiskeystout.htm

The recipe is one that I've been digging around for. The only thing I disagree with is the "cheap bourbon" part. My philosophy is quality ingredients make quality beers... so I'll probably use Makers Mark or maybe Johnny Walker for a whiskey... any recommendations on the grain bill?


__________________
hoppenheimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
evrose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 794
Liked 282 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppenheimer View Post
http://brewersconnection.com/recipes/whiskeystout.htm

The recipe is one that I've been digging around for. The only thing I disagree with is the "cheap bourbon" part. My philosophy is quality ingredients make quality beers... so I'll probably use Makers Mark or maybe Johnny Walker for a whiskey... any recommendations on the grain bill?
I agree on the bourbon issue. If you're going to do it, do it right. And really, the cost difference between 8oz some bottom shelf, crap bourbon and MM isn't going to have much effect on the final per bottle cost of the beer. Use the good stuff.

The grain bill looks freakin' tasty. Bookmarked for later contemplation.


__________________
evrose is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
nukebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 4,530
Liked 2447 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 5659

Default

I may be way out to lunch on this one, but isn't the principle pretty much the same as for mixed drinks? I don't know from personal experience, but I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference between crap bourbon and good bourbon in beer. Also, cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse than the expensive stuff. In fact, I would venture to say that you'd want a coarser bourbon because if it is too smooth, the character may not come out like you want it in the beer. Just my .02 and feel free to slap me around a bit if I am out in left field.

__________________

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

nukebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Hernando
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hernando's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 475
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
I may be way out to lunch on this one, but isn't the principle pretty much the same as for mixed drinks? I don't know from personal experience, but I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference between crap bourbon and good bourbon in beer. Also, cheap doesn't necessarily mean worse than the expensive stuff. In fact, I would venture to say that you'd want a coarser bourbon because if it is too smooth, the character may not come out like you want it in the beer. Just my .02 and feel free to slap me around a bit if I am out in left field.
Yes & no. Will you be able to tell the difference in beer, chances are slim but I bet there are some that could.

Will you be able to tell the difference when you are drinking what's left over, definitely.
__________________
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing
Hernando is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
nukebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 4,530
Liked 2447 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 5659

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
Will you be able to tell the difference when you are drinking what's left over, defintely.
Good point.
__________________

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

nukebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
hoppenheimer
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer View Post
Good point.
This was a partial influence for me... more than I'd like to admit
__________________
hoppenheimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
nukebrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Groton, CT
Posts: 4,530
Liked 2447 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 5659

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppenheimer View Post
This was a partial influence for me... more than I'd like to admit
As well it should have been. I didn't even consider it because I am not much of a bourbon drinker. I love scotch, but not sure if I would ever brew with it.
__________________

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

nukebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
hoppenheimer
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Posts: 18
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I've got a great recipe for a porter that calls for 10 oz. Laphroaig 10 year. It's delicious!



__________________
hoppenheimer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bourbon Chocolate Stout Kit? Hauntedyards General Beer Discussion 1 03-07-2012 04:17 AM
Bourbon/coffee/chocolate stout Cisteve General Beer Discussion 2 11-15-2011 03:35 AM
Vanilla Bourbon Oak Stout bill10827 General Beer Discussion 7 04-13-2010 02:05 AM
Bourbon Stout Ale? Lando General Beer Discussion 10 05-05-2009 01:48 AM
Adding Bourbon to Chocolate Stout - How much? kahunaman General Beer Discussion 4 01-04-2009 02:07 AM