Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bourbon Country Stout & Hop Stoopid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Bourbon Country Stout & Hop Stoopid

My cousin swung by with this beer last night and we tried it out. In one word, viscous. This stout is 13%abv, brewed, fermented, then aged in bourbon barrels. Nose in the glass, my first thought was definitely bourbon. Really strong alcohol scent. First sip, heavy, almost burning sensation. The aged flavor of this beer was okay but presented itself to me as if they had dumped a little liquid smoke in the wort.

Final thought, interesting idea but overdone. If the final abv was a bit lower I think it could have been more enjoyable.

Followed that up with a glass of water, then Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale. Holy ****! That beer was fantastic. Clocking in at 8%abv, with a posted OG1.085, 102 IBU, this beer blew my inner hops lover out of the seat. Great aroma, my wide was laughing at me for sniffing my beer the entire time I drank it. The bottle ended way to soon, I'm going back for more today.

Good sampling night! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love Hop Stoopid. My neighborhood grocery store carries 22's of it just for me.

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
acolman
Recipes 

Hop stoopid is one of my favorites. I live in Winnipeg where only IPA wecan get is a half pints(micro brew) and it is fantastic! But I picked up a hop stoopid in Denver and I wanna move to Denver just for that!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hop Stoopid is a great beer and really inexpensive. Whole foods near me carries 22oz bombers for $3.99.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
vtbrews1
Recipes 

I've had a few bourbon county stouts and I can say they are much enhanced by being served in a snifter. I actually use a brandy snifter to drink it in and when compared with a regular snifter the nose is much more enhanced and contributes a lot to the beer. It also improves a little as it warms. One of my favorites and reserved for special occasions.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
snipper_cr
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Out of curiosity, who's BCBS was it? Was it Goose Island's? I've had the one they brew before. Holy carp! One sip has enough flavor to fill a six pack of regular beer. I saw that it was 13%ABV so I was thinking I should be careful. It took me almost 2 hours to drink it! I have 2 bottles left from 2008 that I have been allowing to sit because I want to see how it develops. the first time I poured it, I thought it looked like motor oil. What an incredible creation!

I had the Hops Stoopid just the other night. I was actually a little surprised that it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. I really liked it, but to me it tasted a little... one dimensional (if that makes sense). Still a great beer, I was just a little sad.

The "Hops Shortage" is the gods way of punishing us for not making our beers bitter enough.

Primary #1: British Brown
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Empty
Secondary #1: Empty
Keg #1: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2: Hoppy Red

Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout needing to be sipped in a snifter. I like it at room temp or maybe a little cooler. But not chilled.

For the record, it is Bourbon County which Goose Island makes not Bourbon Country.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It was Goose Island. I'm willing to give it another go from the correct glass and a little warmer temp. We cracked it about 10 min out of the fridge using pint glasses (all I had available to me at the time)

And yes, Bourbon County, not Country.

Already got my Hop Stoopids for tonight.. Fight night, oh yeah!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Bourbon County Stout is terrible. I think its good to a very select few. A lot of beer geeks tell me how great it is. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure they are posers. I gave it a fair shake and still ended dumping about 6 ounces of it, I never ever do that.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
Bourbon County Stout is terrible. I think its good to a very select few. A lot of beer geeks tell me how great it is. I might be wrong but I am pretty sure they are posers. I gave it a fair shake and still ended dumping about 6 ounces of it, I never ever do that.
In what way was it terrible? I am very picky about Stouts and GI Bourbon County is awesome IMO. Don't bother trying Founders KBS or Brooklyn Black Ops if you haven't. They are also awesome.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS