Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bourbon Cask Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Brewme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bourbon Cask Ale

Anheuser Busch makes a Bourbon Ale once a year that I really like (1 of 2 beers I like from them). Has anyone had experience in making something like this beer? I assume I would need a bourbon barrel during secondary fermentation?

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
Anheuser Busch makes a Bourbon Ale once a year that I really like (1 of 2 beers I like from them). Has anyone had experience in making something like this beer? I assume I would need a bourbon barrel during secondary fermentation?
A lot of people use bourbon soaked oak cubes, shavings, or chips in secondary to get that effect....Yesterday I did a search on it on here for a beer I'm brewing...if you do a thread search you will find a ton of info on it...You can even use Jack Daniels Oak Chips, but you still have to sanitize them.

And I'm wondering if AB actually cask ages their beer, or goes the same route I'm talking about....

Of course if you can lay your hands on a bourbon barrell that would be cool..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is what I found on it...

For those who appreciate a smooth, robust brew with rich aromas, this seasonal offering is brewed with dark roasted carapils, caramel and two-row barley malts and imported Hallertau and Alsace hops. It is then aged on bourbon oak casks and whole Madagascar vanilla beans.

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The North by Northwest brewery in Austin has a whiskey stout that is nothing more than a stout aged in old whiskey barrels. Basically it just combines the two best things to ever hit my mouth. It is a really good brew but if you dont like whiskey (like my wife) then you wont like it.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
seawort
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
Here is what I found on it...

For those who appreciate a smooth, robust brew with rich aromas, this seasonal offering is brewed with dark roasted carapils, caramel and two-row barley malts and imported Hallertau and Alsace hops. It is then aged on bourbon oak casks and whole Madagascar vanilla beans.
am I the only one that thinks "aged on" means they use chips just like we were saying?

"I drank what?"
denny's rye IPA on tap
Nothing In the primary

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawort View Post
am I the only one that thinks "aged on" means they use chips just like we were saying?
In my head, it is a giant fermenter with a few actual barrels thrown in full of weights.

In reality, who knows.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:52 AM   #7
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswilkes33 View Post
The North by Northwest brewery in Austin has a whiskey stout that is nothing more than a stout aged in old whiskey barrels. Basically it just combines the two best things to ever hit my mouth. It is a really good brew but if you dont like whiskey (like my wife) then you wont like it.
Woah. Really?

When it is on tap PM me. I will buy you one for clueing me in.

I love NxNW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
In my head, it is a giant fermenter with a few actual barrels thrown in full of weights.

In reality, who knows.
Most wines these days are aged in stainless tanks using oak chips.

Who knows. As long as it tastes right....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-25-2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawort View Post
Considering that's how "beech aged Budweiser" is done I'm not surprised...I know that plenty of craft brewer's actually use barrels, in fact there was a thread about it yesterday, a micro brewery was going to give some barrells away...But Inbev/Annheiser Bush? I doubt that the pencil neck geeks in accounting would allow for what would be required....but the sure as heck allow their marketers to have free reign to describe it that way. I could be wrong...

But it doesn't matter...unless you have access to toasted oak barrels, the best bet to get the same effect is the way mentioned before, when I said there was a ton of threads explaining how to do it on here....

I'm doing it with half a batch of my Old bog road brown ale...I threw in a pound of rauchmalt when I brewed it last weekend, then I'm going to rack half the batch into one of my 3 gallon fermenters over some toasted oak chips soaked in bourbon...

I'm thinking with some time it may be something special.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Considering that's how "beech aged Budweiser" is done I'm not surprised...
This is done for completely different purposes. It is not for flavoring, it is to help flocc the yeast quicker. By spreading the chips on the bottom of the lagering tanks, the yeast have more surface area to settle on and won't be in the final product. This is one of the reasons why they're able to get the beer out so quick to the public.

And really, what's so different about oak chips/cubes than a barrel rather than aesthetics? With oak chips/cubes, you can easily adjust surface contact amounts with the beer - resulting in quicker or slower leeching of the wood-flavoured compounds as the brewer desires. With a barrel, you're locked into a set surface. Barrels are also harder to sanitize and keep the staves with a tight seal. Finally, with chips, you can easily get a fresh char if you desire.

Quick Reply