Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bourbon Brarrel Ale clone! Almost done!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
moorerm04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Bourbon Brarrel Ale clone! Almost done!!!!!

Its been a little over three weeks since i brewed up an attempted bach of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale (clone). It was in primary for 7 days before reaching a stable gravity, and i racked on top of 1oz of med roast french oak chips, and 2 vanilla beans that had been soaked in bourbon for the durration on primary. It has been in secondary for 15 days now and i pulled a sample tonight and this stuff is awesome! I dumped the bourbon out before i racked because I was a little anxious about tannins. The only thing this beer was lacking was that bourbon on the back of the tounge. I experimented with small doses of bourbon to 2 oz increments of beer and found it! I have got it figured at 1,1/3 cup to a five gallon batch. I am planing on bottling tomorrow because mt wife and I are leaving for vacation! Let me know what you guys think about the bourbon addition at bottling! I will post the recipe for anyone who would like it, However It was an extract reicpe with specialty grains. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I have a batch in primary right now, got the grain % and hops used from the brewery.. have a barrel stave from KNOB CREEK that I cut into smaller chunks soaking in woodford reserve. I hope mine turns out as good as yours sounds like it is gonna be.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
moorerm04
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I have a batch in primary right now, got the grain % and hops used from the brewery.. have a barrel stave from KNOB CREEK that I cut into smaller chunks soaking in woodford reserve. I hope mine turns out as good as yours sounds like it is gonna be.
I am sure it will be.. I brewed a batch of the regular Kentucky Ale a couple months ago to see if I had the base for this beer down pat. It turned out ok... ( it was a little bit hoppier than it should be) but I think I worked out the hitches. I used the same recipe with a different hop addition, then used the oak, bourbon, and vanilla as well. I would definately add the bourbon to tase when you rack into a bottling bucket. That whiskey really brings out bitter tannins when you soak that oak.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd like the recipe...especially because it is an extract one! (no AG for me yet). This sounds very good.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1908 Times on 1679 Posts
Likes Given: 1412

1 & 1/3C of bourbon is a lot for 1oz of chips in 5G of ale. I made 6G of a dark ale to rack onto 4oz of medium toast French oak with 5 jiggers (7.5oz,or about 3/4C) of 8 year old bourbon. In the time it took the ale to ferment,the chips soaked up 2/3 of the bourbon. After 8 days in secondary it was pretty strong. Took 9 weeks & 6 days conditioning at room temp & 2 weeks in the fridge to get the right balance. I do wish the spiciness of the oak would've stayed a little though. I used the bourbon too,since the chips aren't just soaking up bourbon flavor. The bourbon is soaking out some wood flavor at the same time.
Ever soak chunks of wood in water for the bbq pit? The water starts turnin brown if the wood is soaked too long,& it looses flavoring ability when you take it out of the water.
Same thing here,use both chips & liquor,just not too much of either one to keep the flavor on the back.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
dividedsky1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorerm04 View Post
I will post the recipe for anyone who would like it, However It was an extract reicpe with specialty grains. Let me know what you guys think!!!
I would love to try your recipe! (if you've still got it) Thank you!

Quick Reply