Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boulevard Wort Transformation 2013

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Marc77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Boulevard Wort Transformation 2013

Boulevard is doing a wort transformation project where they give you 5 gallons of their wort and then you do the rest. You have to bring back 6 bottles of beer, tell them what you did, why you did, etc. So it's not completely free but hey, it's a super cool idea. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it so I thought I'd come here looking for ideas.

Here's the info I've got to work with:

12.2 plato
12.4 IBU
12.7 EBC

93% pale malt
7% munich malt

Magnum and Bravo hops (equal portions) added early for bittering only.

This leans towards an APA to me but with the Munich malt does that push it towards a German Ale where I should use a German Ale yeast?

I'm thinking of using an APA yeast along with dry hopping with Ahnatum and Amarillo in the secondary. Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Awesome you got in.
I saw this last week and signed up but didn't get selected.
When did you sign up?

Do you have to use only their wort strictly as is?
Could you make another mini wort to add specialty grains and blend with theirs?
I would think you would want more then five gallons so you had some to boil off.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Aw, lucky!

If it were me, I'd try the saison route and dry hop it. Too bad I didn't hear about this sooner, I would have loved to got in on this one.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 05-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
looneybomber
Recipes 

Aw, lucky!

If it were me, I'd try the saison route and dry hop it. Too bad I didn't hear about this sooner, I would have loved to got in on this one.

<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Marc77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srceenplay View Post
Awesome you got in.
I saw this last week and signed up but didn't get selected.
When did you sign up?

Do you have to use only their wort strictly as is?
Could you make another mini wort to add specialty grains and blend with theirs?
I would think you would want more then five gallons so you had some to boil off.
I signed up May 2nd in the morning. I heard it just took off about late morning/early afternoon. That's when it got posted to a few well followed facebook pages.

You can do whatever you want with the wort but the info I posted is all that I got from them. Which makes me think they want to keep it in the APA route but watch what people do with it. Then again I'm one that thinks they're looking to start brewing an APA and want ideas.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Marc77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The more I think about this the more I want to completely change this beer and try the Biere de Garde route. But with 93% pale malt and 7% Munich malt I don't know if this is even possible.

Love that it's open but at the same time it's driving me nuts because I don't know the exact ingredients and I usually have a beer in mind, then search for the recipe. Now I've got to find a recipe that defines the beer type to get in mind. AHHH!!! ;-)

Old 05-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I signed up about 5 on Thursday. I was wondering if it was first come first serve or was it a random lottery. Maybe that I'm in Wichita is why I couldn't get in.

Boulevard pale ale is their flagship beer. Unless they are trying to reinvent/rebrand it like their pils.

The route I was going to take was like at all the beers the did have and find a style that they are not brewing yet. But that is just me. I was thinking of smokey brown or something.

I tried to search for other comps like this to gather ideas for recipes but could not find many. Good luck and have fun brewin'.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
egravy81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you're just looking to pitch yeast and maybe dry hop I'd go with either something fruity like the Cali V yeast from white labs or something clean with character like Kolsch yeast. Otherwise I'd steep some roasted malt like carafa III and go either bock or German lager yeast. Given the grain bill and bittering only hops this is wide open and you can definitely do almost anything...Even a steam beer with some noble hops dry hopped would be pretty good.

~Michael Pollan

Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
Marc77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

As I was looking around HBT I was thinking I wouldn't have enough time to do a Biere de Garde since I found most people saying they taste best after a year. Since I only have 2 months I've decided to move up a bit in the family and go with a saison.

I also found this recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/saison-brett-255734/. As you can imagine I was stoked because the grain bill looks similar to Boulevard's. The hops obviously aren't the same but at 12.4 IBU's I figured it didn't really matter. SO! Here's what I've got drawn up and am going to stick with.

I'm going to boil up a half gallon of water, dissolve the candi sugar and once that's dissolved add the saaz hops for for 15 minutes and another ounce at 5 minutes. According to the recipe that should give me another 9.3 IBU to bring it up to 21.7 IBU's which is just under the 25 that "defines" a saison. Then I'll add that to the wort, pitch the 3724 which I've just heard is phenomenal. So after a few weeks at 75 degrees I'm going to start raising the temperature moving up to 92 or 93 degree's. With about 2 or 3 weeks left I'm going to dry hop with Ahtanum hops. Then after a month and a half I'm going to cold crash the primary to clear up the beer and then bottle.

Below is the list of ingredients I'm going to add:
1 lb clear candi sugar
1 package of belgian saison
1 ale (WYeast 3724)
2 oz Saaz -
1 oz @ 15 minutes and
1 oz at 5 min
Ahtanum - 1 oz for dry hopping

Thoughts?

Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
looneybomber
Recipes 

That's exactly what I was thinking (see post #3). Let us know how it turns out!

Quick Reply