The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bought hops in bulk, how to store?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
jtejedor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
These work pretty well for longer term storage:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-...ndi-vac-52705/
I had one of those a long time ago, they may have improved but my bags always ended up expanding after a little while so I quit trusting it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Or a Hand Vacuum Pump plus a Food Saver mason jar lid thingy, and you can vacuum seal mason jars.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Don't buy in bulk unless you either hop the **** out of your beer the day you open the pack or like fishstick and deer steak dry hop ipa. I have about 8oz of peas and carrots cascade now.

Ziplock and freezer will not work. I buy little pouches of four oz or less now. I don't own a foodsaver.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #14
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
Don't buy in bulk unless you either hop the **** out of your beer the day you open the pack or like fishstick and deer steak dry hop ipa. I have about 8oz of peas and carrots cascade now.

Ziplock and freezer will not work. I buy little pouches of four oz or less now. I don't own a foodsaver.
Maybe you should buy one if all your hops get ruined every time you use them. No offense, but "don't buy hops in bulk" isn't really good advice when its predicated on your personal refusal to take the steps necessary to keep them fresh.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx

Maybe you should buy one if all your hops get ruined every time you use them. No offense, but "don't buy hops in bulk" isn't really good advice when its predicated on your personal refusal to take the steps necessary to keep them fresh.
If you reread the post, you will note the most important part was my cautionary tale about using ziplock bags in lieu of a food saver. So yes, it is good advice to avoid purchasing bulk bags of hops without adequate means to ensure their freshness unless you like fish and chicken patty beer.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
If you reread the post, you will note the most important part was my cautionary tale about using ziplock bags in lieu of a food saver. So yes, it is good advice to avoid purchasing bulk bags of hops without adequate means to ensure their freshness unless you like fish and chicken patty beer.
The original poster was asking about storing 2 oz. of hops for long enough to dry hop an already fermenting beer.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #17
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:

I use the heavy ziploc freezer bags and straw method and have never noticed any "freezer flavors" being picked up by the hops. I do get pellet hops, so maybe leaf is more susceptible to this.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
The original poster was asking about storing 2 oz. of hops for long enough to dry hop an already fermenting beer.
Bingo! If he/she happens to be still reading, 3wks in a zip lock bag = more than fine.

Quick Reply