Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bought a growler of Brett, safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Trail
Can't stand the heat, stays out of the kitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Bought a growler of Brett, safe?

I lucked out and bought the last growler of an occasionally-available Flanders Red down at the local brewpub today. I'm a little concerned... are there any precautions I should take to avoid contaminating my kitchen with Brett? I don't brew there, but I do fill my starsan buckets inside sometimes.

The dude at the pub seemed to think it'd be fine, but I wanted to get y'all's opinion before I crack this delicious bottle open and let slip the yeast of war.

Kegged: Dry Irish Stout
Bottled: Dark English Mild
Bottled: No. 4 Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Honey Saison

Primary: Honey Steam Pilsner
Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can't imagine it would hurt anything. But I've never had a Flanders Red, how is it?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Trail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd imagine it's quite variable, but the one brewed at the Vermont Pub & Brewery, Spuyten Duyvil, is pretty damn tasty. Sour, but the kind of sour you get from tart cherries... IMO a good thing. Very light body, very strange malt profile. I absolutely recommend you try one, even if it ends up not being your thing.

Quote:
The first step is locating a cheap pasta maker. Are you married? If so you probably got one as a wedding present.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 66

That's a good question. My brother owns a winery and he got VERY nervous when some buddies brought some brett beers into the employee break room. He has a BS in biochem so I assume he knows what he is talking about. However a guy in my club brews a lot of brett beers and he claims that it no harder to kill than any other wild yeast.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 08-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 436

I've gotta imagine that just popping open a growler and pouring into a glass isn't going to do a lot to contaminate your kitchen. Just don't take a paint brush to it and spread it all over the walls and be sure to run them glasses through the dish washer afterwards and you should be fine.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Trail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Don't have a dishwasher, but I think it'd be hard to get too messy with this stuff... lovely as it is, a flanders red is not the kind of thing I want to drink enough of in one sitting to get blitzed on. So the possibility of spillage is lower than usual.

At the same time, I may need to make sure I don't drink it in my home office or store the empty growler on the growler shelf... in both cases the proximity to fermenting beer is extreme.

Quote:

Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I brew sour, brett, and sacc side-by-side. I've only had one non-controlled infection, and that was the inciting incident for a complete separation of equipment.

You already bring brett and lactobacillus into your kitchen, assuming that you buy grapes and yogurt.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

there's brett, lacto, mold spores, bits of hair and dust and every other nasty thing, everywhere. bringing a couple more easy-to-kill yeast over for a visit won't change a thing. brett + starsan, iodophor, etc = dead brett. breweries are paranoid to use brett because they have to clean insides of hoses, clamps, fermenters, etc where bits of hop gunk, old krauzen, or crusty hot break can shelter microbes. not because stuff will jump out of the bottle and run wild. i hope the flanders red is good!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Dirty25
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
That's a good question. My brother owns a winery and he got VERY nervous when some buddies brought some brett beers into the employee break room. He has a BS in biochem so I assume he knows what he is talking about. However a guy in my club brews a lot of brett beers and he claims that it no harder to kill than any other wild yeast.
I think most wineries don't like Brett cause once the Brett gets into the pores of the wood it will forever infect the wood. Brett will travel deep into the wood forever infecting the barrel. Normal plastic and glass don't have the same problem. The Brett will not jump out of the bottle then into the barrel.

One caution I would take is Brett/wild beers take forever to make. If you get addicted it will be at least a year till ou could drink your own homebrew. You better start brewing them now....

Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Brett can be cleaned with PBW and star San just like Sacchromyces, it's not some sort of super yeast.

I use the same Better Bottles for clean and funky beers all the time without issue.

Sharing a wood vessel is a completely different issue. Brett beers are poured in brewing environments all the time.

Blog:
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ecoff

Quick Reply