Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottling a Belgian Strong Dark, Add more yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Savage06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bottling a Belgian Strong Dark, Add more yeast?

Back in early April I made a huge Belgian Strong, finished at about 14%abv.

I have been bulk aging it in a glass carboy since then and I am thinking about bottling it soon.

I used WLP500 for the brew which from what I hear stands up to high alcohol fairly well.

I was thinking of possibly bottling with champagne yeast but to do this do you need to use the large cage bottles? That is fine however drinking 750ml of that strong of a beer in one sitting is probably not the greatest idea along with the fact that most competitions don't allow large format bottles to be entered.

Do you think I should even bother with the champagne yeast? If I prime a bit with the yeast in the beer will it eventually carb up?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It will eventually..... eventually carb up. Thats a very high alc brew, so you just need to be patient. Check the guides as to how much priming sugar you need. If you want to enter a few bottles, then bottle up a 6er of it in 12oz bottles and the rest in bombers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply