Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottling Beer from a Keg

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
DogHouseBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Default Bottling Beer from a Keg

I have 3 different brews that I put into kegs and have on tap. I would like to take a few of them to a local competition and was wondering if I put into bottles and added a little sugar so it would carbonate/keep its carbonation if that would effect the flavor of the beer in any way?

The competition will be at the end of August

Thanks for the help!

__________________
DogHouseBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,692
Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Default

Don't add any sugar. If it's already on tap, that means it's already carbed and probably nice and clear. There won't be enough yeast left to consume the priming sugar and you'll end up too sweet. Just bump up the pressure on the beer you want to enter in the competition and over carb it a little. When you bottle from the keg, you'll lose a little carbonation while dispensing and a little more if you leave some headspace in the bottle. By over carbing, you'll compensate for this. Do a search for bottling from kegs/taps for tips and tricks.

__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

BBL_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,361
Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

Don't add sugar!!!!!

Do this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

I have a beergun now, but I've done the "no stinking beer gun" method for a long time and won competitions with that method, so I know it works!

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,061
Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I found the "we don't need no stinking beer gun" method far too complicated. Just jam a 1-foot length of beverage tubing into your tap and turn the pressure down a few psi. Helps to keep the bottles ice cold, like literally in an ice bath while you pour. If your tubing doesn't fit, just shave off a chamfer on the edge.

__________________
SpeedYellow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,061
Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer
Don't add any sugar. If it's already on tap, that means it's already carbed and probably nice and clear. There won't be enough yeast left to consume the priming sugar and you'll end up too sweet. Just bump up the pressure on the beer you want to enter in the competition and over carb it a little. When you bottle from the keg, you'll lose a little carbonation while dispensing and a little more if you leave some headspace in the bottle. By over carbing, you'll compensate for this. Do a search for bottling from kegs/taps for tips and tricks.
Great point about over carbonating a bit beforehand. How much seems to work? Like +2 psi?
__________________
SpeedYellow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,692
Liked 416 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Great point about over carbonating a bit beforehand. How much seems to work? Like +2 psi?
Yeah, 2-4 psi should work ok. Kind of depends on how long you let it carb and how you bottle it. The better your technique, the less carbonation you'll lose.
__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

BBL_Brewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
SpeedYellow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,061
Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer

Yeah, 2-4 psi should work ok. Kind of depends on how long you let it carb and how you bottle it. The better your technique, the less carbonation you'll lose.
I'm sure the amount of carbonation lost to the bottle is calculable. Maybe I'll post a new thread.
__________________
SpeedYellow is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
plumber_bob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lebanon Jct., KY
Posts: 497
Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

I got a question.

If you bottle from a cold keg, can you let the bottled beer warm back up to room temp and store it?

I'm thinking about brewing some high gravity beers and don't want to take up the space in my kegerator with something I'm only gonna drink on occasion. Plus I like to bottle samples for my co-workers to try.

pb --- a kegger kinda guy

__________________
plumber_bob is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
brewinginnc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 293
Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts

Default

If you bottle off of a keg do a test bottle first. I had a southern english brown at about 1.5 -2 volumes and bumped it up 2psi for bottling and it was overcarbed. Not so much of a problem with higher carbed beers

__________________
brewinginnc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,361
Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber_bob View Post
I got a question.

If you bottle from a cold keg, can you let the bottled beer warm back up to room temp and store it?

I'm thinking about brewing some high gravity beers and don't want to take up the space in my kegerator with something I'm only gonna drink on occasion. Plus I like to bottle samples for my co-workers to try.

pb --- a kegger kinda guy
Yes. Once bottled, you can store it at whatever temperature you want- just like when you buy bottled beer from the store.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottling beer jnattress Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-06-2013 08:01 PM
Beer goes bad after bottling, please help! Pisty_Pete Bottling/Kegging 13 10-26-2011 01:36 PM
Using $10/Case IBC Root Beer Bottles for Bottling Beer? jbrookeiv Bottling/Kegging 10 11-10-2010 05:42 PM
How close will Bottling Day Beer taste to When it's done Beer? StrictlyIPAs Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 09-09-2008 02:54 AM
Bottling the Beer makingitgood Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 27 06-23-2006 08:53 PM