Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle filler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
johnsonbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle filler

I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4261 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.
I don't know how you'd do that. The bottle filler takes carbonated beer and fills a bottle under pressure so it doesn't lose carbonation. It wouldn't carb up a flat beer, unless I'm missing something.

The best way to carb up flat beer is with a "carbonator cap" but never on a glass growler. It would work on a soda bottle, though.

Old 09-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
johnsonbrew
Recipes 

I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?

Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonbrew View Post
I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?
1. You can NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.

2.A bottling wand will not carb up flat beer. It is only to bottle already carbed up beer, usually from a keg. The counter pressure helps the beer stay carbonated during the transfer so you do not end up with flat beer from the transfer and capping.

3. A carbonator cap is not designed to be used on a glass growler for the same reason listed above in "1", they attach to soda bottles (do not use rootbeer). You can buy them from a LHBS or online retailer and there is a DIY if you search for it.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial

1. You SHOULD NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.
Fixed that for ya . It is certainly possible to naturally carb in a growler: done it a dozen times without problems. Whether it's advisable is a whole different question.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #7
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopSong
Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.
I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems odd to me that a vessel seemingly purpose-made for storing a carbonated beverage would be "not built for pressure"?

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
MTOutlaw
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Most growlers are meant for already carbonated beverage. When you force carb the pressure is much greater due to the fact that the co2 has to be forced/absorbed into the beer.

Quick Reply