Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle it or Dump it? That is the question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
PapsD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Yeah just add some dry hops to the beer. For an IPA I'd add 2 to 3 ounces and use a hop similar to the aroma hops.

I like to use dry whole leaf hops for everything. I think they have a nicer flavor than pellets. If you dry hop with whole leaf make sure to dry hop in a bucket. They're a PITA to get into and out of a carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'd say bottle right away, don't let it sit another week, the risk of autolysis is still there.
Instead, you could make a hop tea and use in your priming solution. Add a few grains of dry yeast to ensure you'll get some carbonizing fermentation in your bottles, in case your original yeast didn't make it.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefattguy View Post
I'd say bottle right away, don't let it sit another week, the risk of autolysis is still there.
Instead, you could make a hop tea and use in your priming solution. Add a few grains of dry yeast to ensure you'll get some carbonizing fermentation in your bottles, in case your original yeast didn't make it.
No there's not a risk of autolysis in there. People have left there beers upwards of a YEAR with no issues. The autolysis boogeyman has been largely disproven, even by the people who started the scare to begin with. (John Palmer) We don't panic, or spread that panic around here. Autolysis is not "inevitable" in beers left in extended primaries....

You may want to get up to date in your info. Read this and;

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Kirk, you were asking about dry hopping earlier. It's not hard, I just chuck the hops in thefermenter. And NO you don't want to ever stir fermented beer. Fermented beer + Oxygen = Liquid cardboard.

Just drop them in, and let the hops do their thing. Bags are optional. If you don't bag, the stuff will just float, and ride the surface of the beer and get stuck in the trub when you rack to bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you bag them with ballast, as mentioned earlier, it is easier to remove them and it's a bit more effective since the hops are fully submerged and have more surface area making contact with the beer. However, it may indeed be a PITA getting them in/out of a carboy; buckets make it easy.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
olefattguy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
No there's not a risk of autolysis in there. People have left there beers upwards of a YEAR with no issues. The autolysis boogeyman has been largely disproven, even by the people who started the scare to begin with. (John Palmer) We don't panic, or spread that panic around here. Autolysis is not "inevitable" in beers left in extended primaries....

You may want to get up to date in your info. Read this and;

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .
Oh. Thanks for the friendly slap on my fingers, I admit to not knowing these more recent findings. I will stop perpetuating this myth, then. Thanks!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Give it a taste. You will be able to tell if its off. Chances are if you left it undisturbed it will be excellent. I see a lot of comments to dry hop, again I would taste it before deciding to do anything. After you taste if you want more hop aroma/flavor give it a dry hop.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev View Post
If you bag them with ballast, as mentioned earlier, it is easier to remove them and it's a bit more effective since the hops are fully submerged and have more surface area making contact with the beer. However, it may indeed be a PITA getting them in/out of a carboy; buckets make it easy.
Easy solution for this is to tie a length of dental floss or kitchen twine to the muslin bag, add ballast, and submerge. Sanatize the whole rig of course and leave the length of twine/floss hanging out of the carboy. After siphoning off, just pull the bag and spent hops out.

Quick Reply