Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle Day Outside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I'm certainly NO microbiologist, but I would think that there are far more microbes in a typical kitchen than outside in general.

As long as you're out of the sun (say, a covered porch), I can't see bottling outside being any riskier than being in my kitchen. You may have some insects outside that could be a problem though, that you may not have inside (like fruitflies). Fruitflies would ruin the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I love the outdoors, myelf, but I can't see the upside of fresh air balancing out the potential hazards of being outside.

There's the skunking factor. There's the "crap falls in my beer" factor.

Boiling outside is no big deal; if a leaf or a bug falls in your beer, it'll get sanitized. Bottling, though, has no such safeguards.

Think, too, of the pollen in the air in springtime.

Get somthing in one bottle, ruin it. Get something in your bucket, maybe ruin the batch.

I'm sure that bottling outside CAN work, but why risk it?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale
Revvy Likes This 
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default outside bottling

We just had a screened in porch built. Will be able to finally walk on the finished floors this Sunday. I might try bottling up there one day, but I have all my brewery stuff here in the basement, so it might be more of a hassle to carry stuff back and forth.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I certainly wouldn’t say that bottling outside is notably safe. But I also wouldn’t say that doing so without catching an infection is tantamount to dodging a bullet. It’s just like missing one of your sanitation steps. If you forget to sanitize your bottling bucket, for example, as long as it’s clean, you probably won’t catch an infection. I know I’ve forgotten to do this before, and everything turned out fine. It’s that you don’t want to make a habit out of it. We dial in our sanitation standards and steps, not because if you miss one thing, that batch is doomed. Sanitation is the process of leveraging in your favor the aggregate of probabilities from the myriad of vulnerabilities.

I cover my bottling bucket, either loosely with a lid or a sheet of foil, and the caps go right on from the sanitizer to cover the bottles. I always do this inside; so either there or outside, the beer shouldn’t have much exposure to the air. Or light for that matter, although I concede that even refracted sunlight inside a garage or something is likely to be more detrimental than the light inside your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'm certainly NO microbiologist, but I would think that there are far more microbes in a typical kitchen than outside in general.

As long as you're out of the sun (say, a covered porch), I can't see bottling outside being any riskier than being in my kitchen. You may have some insects outside that could be a problem though, that you may not have inside (like fruitflies). Fruitflies would ruin the beer.
+1 to this. The sponge, rag, or whatever sits next to the kitchen sink in your house, is the dirtiest object in the household, as measured by the number of little nasties, even worse than the toilet. And I expect a lot of people bottle next to their kitchen sink, but no one bottles next to their toilet. Or at least they wouldn’t admit it.

Quick Reply