Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle Day Outside

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
TAK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Bottle Day Outside

Ok, so a lot of people brew outside, of course, but does anyone BOTTLE outside? It's so nice out today, it'd make this otherwise boring task a bit more enjoyable. One question comes to mind though, am I at much risk of infecting? There's probably more wild floating things outside than inside, maybe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

In general, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Man, I wouldn't. Bottling's not a fast process, that's a lot of time for naked beer to be sitting there vulnerable.

Typically when we brew outside our beer is not in the "danger zone" for all that long, it's going into a fermenter and getting yeasted asap. The point of that is to get the good bugs competing against any wild ones. Bottling's not the same. You're not throwing in a ton of yeast to out grow any nasties.

To me, too much risk.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I bottled my first batch outside...it was fine.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
TAK
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
I bottled my first batch outside...it was fine.
Was it just the one batch, or did you ever bottle outside again?

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say if I do it once, chances are it'll be just fine. But, if one makes a habit out of the practice, eventually you'll probably have a batch pick up some bug.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Why would you even wanna risk it? There's too many uncontrollable outside to risk, all you need is a bird to take a dump as it's flying by, the wind to change direction, some insect be attracted to the sugar (one fly with acetobactor on it's from landing in dog crap will turn everything to vinegar, )or even just having a neighbor decide to fire up their lawnmower and kick everything around them up in the air, and it's 5 gallons down the drain because you thought it'd be fun to sit outside.....

I lost a gallon of mead made with 50 year old honey because of a neighbor's lawnmower just as we were pitching yeast. Lucky it wasn't everything we were working on that day.

I just don't understand why you'd really wanna risk it even once. Just because another person dodged a bullet, does it mean you will too? The odds are so against success in that.

But hey, it's your product...just be prepared for bottle bombs or vinegar. *shrug*

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
PorterGlenn
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I dont have any strong feelings either way, but tend to agree with what revvy said.

I do wonder though how the sunlight would play into this before the beer gets into your bottles? From what I understand sunlight starts to hurt beer much faster than you would guess?

Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterGlenn View Post
I dont have any strong feelings either way, but tend to agree with what revvy said.

I do wonder though how the sunlight would play into this before the beer gets into your bottles? From what I understand sunlight starts to hurt beer much faster than you would guess?
Oh crap...I totally forgot about this, since noone's ever mentioned bottling outdoors before. But you're right. SUNLIGHT IS THE ENEMY OF FERMENTED BEER WITH HOPS IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been shown by the basic brewing guys that FERMENTED beer's exposure to sunlight for as little as 15 minutes can cause it to skunk.....and only a little longer if it the brown bottle....

This is your beer in sunlight.....

You're talking nearly an hour exposure to uv light will bottling.... *shrug*

Best line ever.... "I wouldn't clean a wound with that."

Good catch Glenn

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK View Post
Was it just the one batch, or did you ever bottle outside again?

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say if I do it once, chances are it'll be just fine. But, if one makes a habit out of the practice, eventually you'll probably have a batch pick up some bug.
I only did it once because it was in october and one of the last warm weekends. i have since kegged outside...also fine.

i really don't understand all the concern. the bottling bucket is covered with a lid, bottles are in a starsan soak until ready to be filled and then immediately capped.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
PorterGlenn
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
i really don't understand all the concern. the bottling bucket is covered with a lid, bottles are in a starsan soak until ready to be filled and then immediately capped.
I have always bottled inside, however I dont put the lid on the bottling bucket, in the beginning I am gennerally smelling the beer, then at the end I am tilting the bucket and trying to get minimal sludge from the bottom in the bottles.

Should I maybe start putting a lid on? I have never had any problems with this approach?

Quick Reply