The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle cleaning info request.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
BrutalBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Bottle cleaning info request.

i need some advice on ways to clean my bottles. I bought about 5 cases of used bottles from a LHBS. The first 2 cases where fine , but I spent my day cleaning bottles and bottling my 2nd batch. When I was cleaning I found a bunch of nasty brown globs coming out of some bottles. I stated to look into them before putting them in my soak bucket and about 10 bottles had what im 99.9% sure it was chewing tobacco spit into the bottles. I live in a semi-country city and know what it looks like. You see it everywhere in the parking lots out here. They where spose to be washed but yeah.... Pretty darn gross.. I threw out the ones that had it in there and 2 that had big chips missing.(buy new bottles,trust me) But after my bottles dried I noticed some had a white film on the inside that was very hard to wash out. Any info on best ways to clean bottles very thoroughly would be much appreciated.
I took my bottle brush and cut off the ring on end and use my cordless drill to spin the brush in the bottle moving it up and down. But still some white residue.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
KegOutlet
Recipes 

Uuughh... I wouldn't risk putting my beer in them. Not worth it for a couple cases of empty bottles.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

I used some old sam adams bottles I saved and cleaned. Ill probably end up throwing out all the bottles Ive bought from there and just get new . I wont be buying used bottles ever again...I have a porter that has about 2-3 weeks before I need them so I have some time. I was wondering if I could save some of them though since I payed money for them. About half the bottles were sparkling clean but the other half are the complete opposite. I wouldnt mind just some dust on them but tobacco spit and nasty thick white film is not good.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Most of us use an overnight soak in hot water and oxyclean, followed by a thorough rinsing.A jet bottle rinser is an excellent tool to rinse and also remove stubborn gunk and even mold.

It's pretty effortless.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Most of us use an overnight soak in hot water and oxyclean, followed by a thorough rinsing.A jet bottle rinser is an excellent tool to rinse and also remove stubborn gunk and even mold.

It's pretty effortless.
Think it will get rid of the thick white residue? I have no idea what it is , never seen it before. Its on the bottom half of the bottles. Also does oxyclean work as good as star san?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Starsan is a sanitizer, oxyclean is a cleanser. After the oxyclean soak, you could try CLR to remove any scale.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Good idea , thats..!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

+1 for oxy or pbw

Jeremy @ Lucky Chicken Brewery

Electric Build

Kegerator build