Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle Bombs help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
fatnoah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Default Bottle Bombs help

So I've brewed about 8 batches now and bottle conditioned all of them. Never had any problems until last night when two bottles blew up in my closet. They were a coffee and cream stout (Brewers Best milk stout kit with some extra DME and cold brewed coffee at bottling) that I bottled back in March. My hypothesis is that since I cold brewed the coffee and didn't boil it there was probably some bacteria that got in during bottling. Given that it is a milk stout there is plenty of leftover lactose in there that the bacteria are probably going to town on (especially with the higher temps as of late).

My question is what do I do now? The last one I opened and tasted seemed fine. Not as great as when I first bottled them, but enjoyable. Should I try and refrigerate the rest? Should I toss the rest (7 beers)? I am kind of scared of one of these going off in my hand when I am trying to do something with them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 527

If the majority of your batch has been fine your last 7 are probably fine. I've only had one bottle break and since it was the only one to do so I figured it was a weak bottle. I think infection would be hard to get if you sanitized your bottles before bottling, plus the alcohol in your beer would kill most stuff too.... Just my 2 cents.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've always added 'things' such as hops, coffee, etc to my secondary without any infection; some things you just cant sanitize while maintaining the flavor integrity. There's enough alcohol after fermentation for it to not be an issue. Probably just an issue with those two bottles, like KeyWest said. Weak bottles, not sanitized, something left over in the bottles after sanitizing.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
sieglere
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I always store my bottles in a Rubbermaid type bin just in case. If you're worried, put them in there so even if it.goes wrong, the mess becomes less than it would have been.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
pgrebus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It's also possible that you had uneven carbonation between bottles - one of my primary drivers to move to kegging. No priming solution, no oxidation, no uneven carbonation, and easy bottling with a counter-pressure filler.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #6
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I particularly like the rubbermaid container idea.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To be honest, even though i'm confident in my process/sanitation/etc, I read a couple threads a few weeks ago on bottle bombs, right around the time I bottles a couple batches. I ended up storing my bottles in my kitchen closet as opposed to my normal beer closet with carpet floors (and my clothes). I'll move them once i'm sure they're set, but cant help but laugh at myself for it.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3181 Times on 1988 Posts
Likes Given: 2709

Once you have one bomb, other can blow just by being agitated. I know this from experience. So, be careful if you decide you want to start moving that batch around. Getting them cold is your best defense by far. When moving them, make sure to consider protective equipment:

Quick Reply