Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle bomb post pasteurization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Bottle bomb post pasteurization

I brewed a batch of 5 day cider way back in January, and bottled it at 1.036 so it still had a fair bit of yeast in suspension. Like every other batch of 5 day I've done I bottled it, and did a bottle in a 12oz pepsi bottle to gauge the carb level.

Once the pepsi bottle was firm and had good carbonation to it, I stove top pasteurized as I always do according to the sticky here. All was well until last night.

I was working in my kitchen last night when I heard a loud bang. Wandered the house without finding anything amiss and kinda forgot about it. This morning my wife complained that the pantry smelled funky, but I'm dry hopping an IPA in it so I didn't really think much of it. When I opened the pantry this morning, I smelled funky cider, and looking on the shelf saw 1 bottle missing in the six pack of cider I had in there. Sure enough one of the bottles had exploded.

All the other bottles are fine, including the swing tops in my garage, so the only thig I can think of is this bottle had a microscopic structural weakness that eventually caused the bottle bomb.

Anyone else had something like this happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I was conditioning in growlers once and had two pop on the counter while I was at work. That was fun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply