Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boston Brewpubs or Bars

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Boston Brewpubs or Bars

I'm going to have a free evening next week in downtown Boston, staying at the Hyatt Regency. Any recommendations on a brewpub or a bar with a great beer selection?

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how far are you willing to travel? american craft and publick house are about 30mins away by the T and have great selection

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Boston beer works right near the garden,Harpoon brewery is cool to visit too.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Not really in downtown Boston (as far as I know), but Sunset Grill and Tap is probably the best bar I have ever been to in my life. They have like 120+ beers on tap, and most all of them are actually something you would want to get.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
soxpats
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
how far are you willing to travel? american craft and publick house are about 30mins away by the T and have great selection
+1 on this. great places... there's also a store right there called Publick House Provisions that carriers a wide range of craft beers that can be hard to find anywhere else, perfect to take something unique back to the hotel. They are all directly off the Washington Sq stop on the Green C line

Old 03-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxpats View Post
there's also a store right there called Publick House Provisions that carriers a wide range of craft beers that can be hard to find anywhere else, perfect to take something unique back to the hotel.
unfortunately, they just closed this winter

Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Cambridge Brewing Company has some great beers, and its one of the oldest brewpubs in the area.

http://www.cambridgebrewing.com/

If you're trying to save some cash, you can take the red line to Kendall Square, then take a taxi from there.

Bob

Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #8
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

If you like German food and beer, You could try Jacob Wirth's. It's pretty close to the Hyatt. If your looking for a large variety of beer, Sunset grill is a good place. Just a quick cab ride away. There's so many places to go in town. Google Sunset Grill Boston, you can see there beer menu.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buna_Bere View Post
Cambridge Brewing Company has some great beers, and its one of the oldest brewpubs in the area.

http://www.cambridgebrewing.com/

If you're trying to save some cash, you can take the red line to Kendall Square, then take a taxi from there.

Bob
I suggest CBC for sure, it's awesome. A huge bonus is a 3 minute walk away is Lord Hobo, my favorite beer bar of all time. CBC (Cambridge Brewing Company) is great all around with great burgers and higher end food for good prices. Lord Hobo is a gastro pub that does mainly high end food, and is really tasty. Another great place in Cambridge is Cambridge Common, but that's in Porter Square which is a small trek (2 stops on the T away and a few minutes walking on each side). CBC has 4 standard beers and 4-6 specialties at any given time, Hobo has about 40 beers on tap (lots of west coast, belgian, and high end stuff), and Cambridge Common has about 30 (Ithaca Flower Power is ALWAYS on tap which makes me very happy). I go to Hobo and CBC all the time cuz it's a 5min walk from me, they're honestly the two best places to drink that I've ever experienced. There's some other good bars around like Thirsty Scholar and Bukowski's (which is only good mon-fri cuz you can get a $2 burger with fries and toppings for a dollar each, the beer list is quite good but slightly overpriced) but they're a little less accessible as far as getting to them via public transit goes.

In Brighton/Allston you have Sunset which is a great place for beer (100+ taps, amazing bottles, great stuff) and food (~$10 burgers, awesome mexican stuff especially the chicken chimichanga, overall great semi-greasy pub food). Publick House is one of the best beer bars in the country and has a belgian beer list and a regular list, usually around 15 of each. Food is awesome but a little pricier and it gets REALLY crowded unfortunately. Deep Ellum is a great place with awesome German pretzels and ~15-20 beers on tap, usually stuff you literally can't find anywhere else, a lot of imports. I like all these places but mostly find myself at Sunset and sometimes Deep Ellum.

In downtown, good luck. I've never had good experiences, most of the taps are Guinness, Smithwicks, Boston Lager, Sam Adams Seasonal, and macro swill at every single bar... and I've had issues with off flavors quite often. I highly recommend everything listed above.

For dinner/drinking after, I'd suggest CBC for dinner then Hobo for more drinks/appetizers for the walking route in Cambridge or even possibly Cambridge Common for dinner then a quick T ride and short walk to CBC and Hobo. For the Allston/Brighton area Deep Ellum and Sunset aren't far apart so I'd suggest Deep Ellum first for dinner if you want higher end food and Sunset if you want "drink with your buddies and grab dinner" food that's really tasty. Another option in Brighton is Publick House/American Craft, both of which are under the same ownership and on the same block. I haven't been to American Craft yet mainly because the food menu looks so overpriced to me and it's not worth traveling there for me just for beer, I hear it's good though.

I'm pretty sure every place has a website so check them out. Definitely hit up at least one of these areas. I've lived in walking distance to both and they're both fantastic. I like the Cambridge area a little more. One thing to note, if you're taking the T it's actually much faster to use the red line (cambridge) than the green line (you'd be using the B line to get to Sunset and the C line to get to Publick House). The green line stops a million times cuz it's above ground most of the time, the red line is underground and much faster. Since you're at the Regency, you can either take a decent walk to CBC or walk to the green line... travel time seems about the same. I'd be more inclined to do CBC/Hobo, personally.

Oh yeah, across the street from Sunset is Blanchard's, a great liquor store with a huuuge beer selection.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Fantastic suggestions. Thanks everyone! That should keep me busy! I didnt' mention this, but I will have a rental car because I need to spend part of the day at my corp HQ in Wakefield. I don't want to drive in the city because Boston driving is more of an art than a science (come to think of it-that's a good description of MA drivers in general )...and I will be imbibing.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Quick Reply