Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boring Brewer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
billf2112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Boring Brewer?

I am starting to feel like a boring brewer. I have very specific beer taste and although I do like to sample other brews, I get this at my brew club meetings.

I have actually gotten into a brewing pattern. Red ale (my fav brew), a stout of some kind, an odd brew (lager, weizen...) Repeat. I am gettibg ready to start this same cycle for the third time. Is this bad? Has anyone else gotten into something like this? I have been brewing smaller (3.5 gallon) batches and maybe I just ran out to fast.

I was just looking at my brewing hit list and thought, didn't I just do this?

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

lots of people do this hobby for lots of reasons - if yours is to make beers you like to have around the house all the time - that's fantastic!

I find myself running out of the stuff I really want to show off and with too much of my random experimental batches. You sound smarter.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

My to brew list is getting huge. I'm not a beer nerd or snob so I like to try everything I haven't tried before. Which is a lot because I can't see spending tons of money on craft beers. I haven't made a recipe twice yet, even though I'd like to.

Look at your pattern as a good thing. You likely have a few recipes down pat and can make a perfect beer that you love. I can't say this, so far I have wanted to change at least one thing on every batch, and I can't make these changes until I brew them again. God knows when that will be.

Try brewing something festive this time around, that might break that routine of yours. Holiday beer? Pumpkin?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My neighbor brews pale ales. Not quite exclusively, but I'd say over 80% of what he brews are pale ales. Yes, he'll try different hops or yeast strains. He likes to always perfect his favorite recipe, but pale ales (bordering on IPA's) are what he likes. And you know what, I always love tasting the subtle differences of the pales that he makes. It's amazing how one style can be done in so many different ways and I know I don't find his brews, or the repition of them, to be boring.

Though I am the polar oppoisite. There are only two recipes that I have ever brewed twice. I love playing with different styles, and ingredients, and just always coming up with something different to be next. Though he has rubbed off a bit on me as I've started thinking about a style or two that I'd really love to master.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by billf2112 View Post
I am starting to feel like a boring brewer. I have very specific beer taste and although I do like to sample other brews, I get this at my brew club meetings.

I have actually gotten into a brewing pattern. Red ale (my fav brew), a stout of some kind, an odd brew (lager, weizen...) Repeat. I am gettibg ready to start this same cycle for the third time. Is this bad? Has anyone else gotten into something like this? I have been brewing smaller (3.5 gallon) batches and maybe I just ran out to fast.

I was just looking at my brewing hit list and thought, didn't I just do this?
I think its better to nail down a few recipes and work on repeatability than brew every style as fast as you can.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Oter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a similar habit. I brew a recipe a few times with certain changes, until I get it the way I want it. Then it doesn't change and it goes in my "cookbook". I brew my black lager every other brew day because it is my wife's favorite beer. Drinking five gallons of mediocre experimental beer is not fun. I'm looking at your "black pale wheat ale".

Old 08-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Ive been told by more seasoned brewers that being able to replicate your own or favorite recipes is good for your skills as a brewer. Repeatability is important. Though I feel a lot of the fun in home brewing is the freedom to make something different every time, my last 3 batches I ordered as a double order so I could brew them all twice.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Empty
Primary : Empty
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 43

There's a big difference between being boring and bored. If you're happy with what you're making, why worry about whether your brew schedule is exciting to others? OTOH, if you actually feel like you're in a rut, then shakes things up a bit and get outside your comfort zone.

It's only beer; if you don't want to drink an entire batch of some exotic beer you can always take it to your brew club (you mentioned one) for sampling or trades.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
crazyworld
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oter View Post
Drinking five gallons of mediocre experimental beer is not fun. I'm looking at your "black pale wheat ale".
I literally laughed out loud when you said "I'm looking at you...". Black.... pale? Where'd you get the recipe?

Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

There is a guy on here who built a brewery that cost more than my car...he mostly brews Moosehead I think...He wanted to be able to brew his favorite beer in large quantities over and over again, the same taste, consistent, etc.

My next-door neighbor brews 80% lagers, mostly pilsners and a marzen each year. He brews a porter and a Kolsch from time to time, maybe a pale ale. He loves lagers.

I love pale ales and IPA's. Something bright that wakes up the pallet. Of course, I like a good warmer in the winter, too...maybe a spiced stout, imperial stout/porter, and I do like a good ESB. I don't really like most lagers, though. Anchor Steam clone was good, but the original I don't like.

Plus if I want friends to consistently drink my beer (sounds odd I'd want that, right?) then I have to brew more "tame" styles. I find that I really like beers with some hops or body, or both. I brew back and forth between stuff my wife/friends would like and stuff I really like. I end up brewing more what I like though and I do try different recipes. I don't know that I'll ever strive hardcore to make a "repeat" beer exactly the same way every time...but then again I haven't found the perfect beer...yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply