Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > bored and disillusioned

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Edbert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default bored and disillusioned

My latest batch is a bit past ready age and to be honest it is the worst brew I've made in 8 years. Taste is not horrible but not great either, carbonation is off the charts high, bottle foam like made when opened. The worst part of it all is the ABV is so low it rivals BMC-lights.

I don't know what I did wrong, I knew it was going to be low based upon IG, and at this point it doesn't matter. I'm not going to pour it out since it is beer after all, but I cannot give it away to friends in good conscience either. But I need to get something going ASAP so I have something to look forward to while I force myself to consume this.

To be honest I was thinking I'll take a break and buy a few gallons of Tito's (local) vodka. As attractive as that is it kind of rubs me the wrong way, I think I need to get back on the horse and right what I've done wrong. So I was thinking I'll go with a batch of "Devil's Brew" from Austin Homebrew Supply, I've made it before to great reviews from friends. Maybe pump up the ABV a bit with extra honey since I like sweeter beers and 7.6% is nothing to fear for me although 2 or 3 12oz bottles make one feel like a nap based upon past batches.

But that got me to thinking...high ABV plus honey plus my taste for sweet...hmmmm...maybe I should make some mead. I can guess what the folks in the mead forums would say, but what do you think? Get the bad taste (literally and figuratively) out of my system by changing gears drastically, or get back to my beloved Belgians or take a break and save some calories by sticking with spirits for a while?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I think the obvious answer is to brew up a Belgian braggot!

Old 09-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Is a braggot just an ale with honey?

If so that is what AHS' devil brew is, I am quite fond of that recipe.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 3272

Seems to me you need a nice low abv simple session ipa to get you back on track

Get your SG to around 1.050 and hop to 35-45IBU with your favorite varietes.

I quit buying the kits...
1. There INSANELY overpriced, specially at AHS
2. You could have fresh yeast but month old malt, grains are ok to store but malt extract has only a couple months shelf life.

Also honey is 100% fermentable, meaning if within the yeast ABV range it will continue to eat 100% of the honey and leave a dry (relative to the recipe of course) finish. When i wanted to "up the ABV" and added a pound of sugar or honey it always came out "thin" and lifeless. Sometimes its better to brew up a session beer with no aditional sugars and let the malt do all the talking

Brewing is not rocket science (or is it!)
Take it easy, find a simple recipe (or create one yourself) and take your time!!

Correct pitch rates and Fermentation temps is all thats needed to make great beer!
Cheers!

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I'd say go for the mead, but just be aware that they usually need many months to age before they're ready. At least the good ones do. You could try something like JAOM, but from what I understand, it's just an entry-level mediocre mead to get people started.

Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
glick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Edbert, you need to man up buddy! If this is your worst batch in 8 years I don't know why you are so depressed about it. Crap happens when brewing sometimes and the only thing to do is keep on trucking. I wasn't paying attention to a recipe one time and added caravienne instead of vienna malt. It was a very light beer and with the mistake it tasted like eating caramel (not very good). I didn't pout, I drank my caramel beer and moved on. I think you should brew another batch while sipping that swill and file the bad memories away!

Old 09-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
TheSmithsEra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Seems to me you need a nice low abv simple session ipa to get you back on track

Get your SG to around 1.050 and hop to 35-45IBU with your favorite varietes.

I quit buying the kits...
1. There INSANELY overpriced, specially at AHS
2. You could have fresh yeast but month old malt, grains are ok to store but malt extract has only a couple months shelf life.

Also honey is 100% fermentable, meaning if within the yeast ABV range it will continue to eat 100% of the honey and leave a dry (relative to the recipe of course) finish. When i wanted to "up the ABV" and added a pound of sugar or honey it always came out "thin" and lifeless. Sometimes its better to brew up a session beer with no aditional sugars and let the malt do all the talking

Brewing is not rocket science (or is it!)
Take it easy, find a simple recipe (or create one yourself) and take your time!!

Correct pitch rates and Fermentation temps is all thats needed to make great beer!
Cheers!

I like what this gent said. I would do a 1.060 extract beer with dry yeast and focus on temp control.

1 bad beer in 8 years? Come on! on the other hand if you're bored of brewing like the title says then perhaps..its not for you? Get back on the horse!!!

Violence … is the last refuge of the incompetent

Primary: Empty.....For the moment...

Bottled: Williams Brewing Honey Wheat

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 09-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I took a break and drank a lot of martinis for a summer. Also, as of today I'm on a short term hiatus because I'm trying to sort out a back pain issue. So I'll be bottling Saturday and then I probably won't be brewing or drinking for 2 - 4 weeks.

A mead will give you something to look forward to for a long time.

To get out of an uninspired funk, I say - do something big, complicated, and aggressive: Imperial Citrus-Herb Saison, Smoked & Oaked DIPA, Belgian Barleywine, Chocolate-Coffee RIS, ...

When I made that Citrus-Herb Saison, I felt like a mad scientist as I dumped ounces of herbs and put the juice & zest of lemons, limes, and oranges into the boil.

That beer needed 6 months to mellow before it got good.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 47

After brewing a batch that is less than satisfactory, the only thing that makes me feel better is brewing again. It doesn't matter if it's the same type of recipe or not. Just brewing something that tastes better or turns out better. Whatever means you need to achieve this end, start brewing to get out of your slump.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Edbert
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Not a big fan of the IPAs I've tasted, just prefer less hops.

The bad batch was my 2nd batch after taking 10 months off to lose 40 pounds. The boredom is from the thought of redoing the same recipes over and over again. I think I'll try the braggot.

Quick Reply