Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > booze for a desperate high school kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #21
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
my wife never touched alcohol until she was 21 and still has never had a cigarette. me: 'why did you wait so long to drink?' her: 'uh, it's the law.'

the longer answer, i think, is that she played sports, had a busy life and she and her friends did interesting things other than drinking.
Actually, it is not. Most states allow underage drinking as long as a parent is present and gives the alcohol to the minor. I imagine allowing them to get drunk could have other legal ramifications but drinking by itself underage is not necessarily illegal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
Actually, it is not. Most states allow underage drinking as long as a parent is present and gives the alcohol to the minor. I imagine allowing them to get drunk could have other legal ramifications but drinking by itself underage is not necessarily illegal.
I think you are correct. Having a BAC as a minor is not illegal unless you are driving a motor vehicle or displaying signs of drunkeness in public. Although, possessing alcohol under the legal age is illegal in every state as far as I know.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
944play
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Compared to kids 100 years ago, kids today are absolutely both stupid & lazy.
While I can't necessarily take umbrage with your latter claim, there's a term for the observation that the former is absolutely untrue: the Flynn effect. IQ tests have to be made slightly harder every few years to keep the mean score at 100.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I started brewing when I was 19 for just those reasons. It was beer, but only by a loose definition. Rocket fuel, more like. 4 day fermentation, 2 days in bottles, then it was GONE.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #25
Andrewtherooster
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had a roommate who, before he was 21, made strong apple wine with sugar, bread yeast, and apple juice. He fermented it with a blow-off tube under our sink. Stuff was super dry and potent.

I didn't drink until I was 20, and then I knew a place that didn't card me. I guess it could of been me being 6'6 and covered in facial hair.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
aristurtle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I was in college there were people fermenting apple juice and sugar with bread yeast in a used water cooler carboy. It was as gross as it sounds. Sanitization procedures were not what you'd call rigorous, either. In the end they discovered that it was easier to just buy cheap beer.

Also, just had to comment on this:

Quote:
Compared to kids 100 years ago, kids today are absolutely both stupid & lazy.
Literally every generation has said that the next generation of kids is inferior to theirs. Plato recorded Socrates complaining about the kids these days with their "written language" not being able to just memorize everything and never respecting their elders, etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1392 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
I think you are correct. Having a BAC as a minor is not illegal unless you are driving a motor vehicle or displaying signs of drunkeness in public. Although, possessing alcohol under the legal age is illegal in every state as far as I know.
Every state is different. There's no federal "drinking age" as a law, it's technically decided by each state, but the 21 limit is set across the board because of a federal transportation funding regulation (states lose federal funding if they don't set a legal age of 21). A good number of states allow exceptions to that age, and more than half of the states allow possession and consumption by someone underage as long as it's provided by the parent, the parent is present, and it's on private property. A very small number of states actually ban it outright.

Back to the question at hand, never occurred to me to try my own juice wine/pruno/whatever. I just either raided my dad's booze, or got someone to procure it for me.

Up Next: Best Bitter, English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Primary: English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottled for the long haul: Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

one of my buddy's actually read up on this stuff and was hell bent on doing it... at my house... so he explained it to me, all we do is take some juice add yeast and let it sit. it does "something chemical" and you get alcohol, but it can explode is you leave it capped up...

my answer.. are you nuts im not letting juice rot in my room and it can EXPLODE!!!! (im thinking fireball here). i just figured it was easier to get my bro to buy it for me so i told him no way... knowing what i do now, i realize he was really on to something lol

Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristurtle View Post
Literally every generation has said that the next generation of kids is inferior to theirs. Plato recorded Socrates complaining about the kids these days with their "written language" not being able to just memorize everything and never respecting their elders, etc.
IQ's aside there is no contest that kids today are lazy compared to a few generations ago. In the early part of the 20th century kids were working on farms or for their family's business at grade school age after school. If a kid wanted to "have fun" he/she would go outside and play with the other kids, ride a bike, fly a kite, etc. Today they play video games or watch TV after school.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
IQ's aside there is no contest that kids today are lazy compared to a few generations ago. In the early part of the 20th century kids were working on farms or for their family's business at grade school age after school. If a kid wanted to "have fun" he/she would go outside and play with the other kids, ride a bike, fly a kite, etc. Today they play video games or watch TV after school.
The reason they are inside is because their parents have put the fear of the outside world into because it is "such a bad place". Don't talk to strangers or you will be kidnapped( BTW less then 1% of kidnappings are people the kid didn't know) don't be out after dark or you will be mugged or murdered, zombie apocalypse, don't fall you might break a bone or crack your head on the concrete, ect.
I see plenty of kids in highschool come through my shop trying to get a job, unfortunately we are full and it is not common in the company to take on someone who is young unless they are proven in another job. They are not necessarily lazy ( some are but every generation has those) but after trying to get a job and being turned down as often as they are they give up... kinda like people in their mid 20s getting out of college. There are no farms for kids to go to these days, they are too mechanical, a lot of places don't want you till your an adult at 18. Basically there are not a lot of opportunities for teenager these days in this economy.
The biggest problem I see from kids coming into my shop asking for a job is how they carry themselves. Ratty Jeans a T shirt and a hat with their skanky girlfriend in tow is not how to come in looking for a job. Funny thing is the first time I applied there I did the same thing( 3 months before being accepted because I didn't give up). With some growing up or being taught by their parents they would know better.

Quick Reply