Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > booze for a desperate high school kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i tried to make vodka in high school. not IN high school, in my friend's kitchen when i was 16. this was before the internet. we ground up raw potatoes and pitched bread yeast. gave it a few days, put it in a flask and tried to distill it with a small laboratory self-contained glass distillation unit. at 2am with his mother asleep upstairs. the flask was not heat tolerant and the bottom cracked off. ~10 liters of filthy putrid rotten potato muck now free to succumb to the whims of gravity. a violent stench. what a cleanup that was. we didn't try this out of desperation to get booze, we could get cheap booze, but seeking the same 'self-made' satisfaction we get as homebrewers! in hindsight i'm happy i didn't have to drink fusel/methanol rotgut

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4944 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
Take that and extrapolate a scenario where one group of teenagers is caught fermenting their own wine. After the news makes it sound like an epidemic parent groups will get involved and you'll have to put your name on a national registry to buy a packet of brewers yeast like you do to buy sudafed.
Yep.

MoonFlower has been made illeagal to grow in Oklahoma because it self seeds, almost noxiously, and some kids learned that you can get a Hallucinogenic buzz off the seeds by eating them.

Some kids died.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
i tried to make vodka in high school. not IN high school, in my friend's kitchen when i was 16. this was before the internet. we ground up raw potatoes and pitched bread yeast. gave it a few days, put it in a flask and tried to distill it with a small laboratory self-contained glass distillation unit. at 2am with his mother asleep upstairs. the flask was not heat tolerant and the bottom cracked off. ~10 liters of filthy putrid rotten potato muck now free to succumb to the whims of gravity. a violent stench. what a cleanup that was. we didn't try this out of desperation to get booze, we could get cheap booze, but seeking the same 'self-made' satisfaction we get as homebrewers! in hindsight i'm happy i didn't have to drink fusel/methanol rotgut
this is hilarious! great story

Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
i wasn't...
my wife never touched alcohol until she was 21 and still has never had a cigarette. me: 'why did you wait so long to drink?' her: 'uh, it's the law.'

the longer answer, i think, is that she played sports, had a busy life and she and her friends did interesting things other than drinking.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Sadly that's all it takes is one dumba$$ to die from overuse of anything and it's time to ban that! The biggest problem with the world is we protect idiots from themselves instead of letting natural selection run its course and the result is a gene pool that is increasingly stupid.
That and the fact that primarilly educated people take advantage of health insurance and contraception.

Poor idiots are replicating unchecked while the educated are self neutered.

Idiocracy is a pretty funny and silly take on it, but a little scary nonetheless.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
A recent idiocy that's been in the news lately in SoCal (got enough attention for Colbert to pick it up) is kids getting drunk on hand sanitizer and being hospitalized. Apparently a few geniuses at some L.A. high school realized that Purell contains a rather high level of alcohol and decided to start swigging it. A few of them were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning because teenagers are idiots and the local news has been trying to make it sound like an epidemic. You've got news anchors warning parents to "keep hand sanitizer out of the reach of your teenagers" and warning about how readily available this product is. Take that and extrapolate a scenario where one group of teenagers is caught fermenting their own wine. After the news makes it sound like an epidemic parent groups will get involved and you'll have to put your name on a national registry to buy a packet of brewers yeast like you do to buy sudafed.
Teenagers have been known to drink/eat/sniff any and all chemicals and products to get a buzz.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Schemy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 115

We made some grape juice "wine" in high school. It was not good, and thus we never made it again. Of course we didn't know what the hell we were doing, only understood the process of fermentation and you could catch a buzz off is. I would rather have chipped in my $5 for the case of Natural Light than have to drink the garage wine again.

Homebrewers Local 402
www.local402brewers.org
Schemy

ON TAP
Sir Ryland Sour Brown
The Hook Hefeweizen
Breakdown Belgian Pale Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Ale
HB Experience Session India Brown Lager
Poor Mans Porter
Nelson Brett Saison
Smoked Dog Smoked Roggenbier

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2429 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I don't really buy that kids are stupid and lazy.
Well, I meant to say Ignorant. But then again I've listened to some things the kids around school say and I still stand by my previous statement that some of them are terribly dumb. Not able to process out a full line of reasoning.

Some of them are actually very good students, academically.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Well, I meant to say Ignorant. But then again I've listened to some things the kids around school say and I still stand by my previous statement that some of them are terribly dumb. Not able to process out a full line of reasoning.

Some of them are actually very good students, academically.
Compared to kids 100 years ago, kids today are absolutely both stupid & lazy. Blame it on technology or parenting or the government but the fact remains. Kids don't have to think for themselves anymore...they have iPhone apps and the interwebs and if they are hungry they can simply make a 30 second call and food magically shows up with a knock on the door. They look to TV reality shows as a guide for how they are supposed to behave in society. It's a downward spiral.

I'm only 33 but I remember the days before the internet. If I wanted to learn something for school I had to go to the public library and look it up in books! Oh the humanity!

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1427 Times on 1305 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I was never really into drinking until after I was older and had a couple kids. Maybe because teens aren't known to seek out great tasting booze. In high school, smoking was my thing.

Quick Reply