The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > booze for a desperate high school kid

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Default booze for a desperate high school kid

i was thinking about how in high school, we were all so desperate for booze. we'd go to great lengths to get anything with alcohol. taste was of no concern whatsoever. and i'm thinking, couldn't i have just taken some bread yeast and some sugar, mixed it with a couple liters of water and created myself some drunk-juice with standard stuff from the grocer?

makes me wonder why more kids aren't doing this. or step it up a notch and get some apple juice, toss in some yeast. sure it won't be good, but it would work, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
mlg5039
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It would work. It would not taste good. But it would work.

It is not certain that everything is uncertain.

Primary:BCS Clone
Secondary:Oud bruin (2), Raspberry melomel
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Imperial Punkin
Kegged: Wild Ale, Dark Mild
Gallons to date 2012: 47

Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Raisin Jack

Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
louie0202
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Or they could make JAOM on the down low.....only takes about a month and uses normal supplies....Apfelwein is pretty easy too.

Primary #1: French Saison (AG), Orval Clone (AG), The Number Eight (AG), Argentine Malbec, Belgian Blonde (AG)

Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Taking apple juice, adding yeast and maybe some sugar, is called making apple wine or hard cider. It can taste pretty good if you drink it when it's at the dryness you like. Lots of people on here make Apfelwein (Applewine in German).

Kids don't make it because:

a) They are stupid and lazy
b) They don't have a place to hide the stuff
c) They don't care

I'm guessing most of them have no idea that it's actually cheaper and easier to make fermented juices than to try and get someone to buy retail stuff.

When I was a kid my dad would leave the jug of cider out on the porch to bubble up a bit. Tasted good.

I took that idea further by filling a tupperware glass with cider and putting down in the basement behind the canned goods. A few days later while we were watching the Baseball game there was the sound of a tupperware lid popping off the glass. Dad looked at me and I just smiled a little and said, "I guess my cider is ready..."

Strangely, I didn't run with this process and start making hard cider from juice all the time. Maybe there are some kids who would have thought, "Gee, I could make an unlimited supply of drunk-inducing hard cider if I just BUY SOME FRIGGIN JUICE AND SOME YEAST!"

Of course, I didn't have the luxury of the Internet to be able to look this stuff up. I'm sure the local library had books on beer and wine making. I probably thought there was some secret magic involved in making wine.

And I haven't seen a desperation for booze with my kids or their friends. I'm sure it's out there, because I remember certain groups of kids from my school daze. I think there are a few "bad apples", if you will, who tend to get other involved in skirting the laws. I don't understand why a few kids feel they have to see how drunk they can get. As if it's a competition.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I, for one, am thankful that homebrewing IS still somewhat unheard of. Sure, it is a LOT more popular than just a few years ago (based solely on the evolution of available products) but, for now, it is still mostly unregulated.

Yes, I know there are homebrewing laws.

And, while I am sure there are some conscientious store owners, there is nothing illeagal about buying malt, hops, and yeast so ther is nothing to stop some a minor.

But just wait, the first time a story about some kids making hooch dies from alcohol poisoning, and we'll will begin to see MUCH stricter regulations of the materials necessary to brew.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 278

I don't really buy that kids are stupid and lazy. I remember some of the schemes we concocted to get a hold of booze when we were under 21 and tobacco when we were 18. Some of this was probably small town stuff...nothing else to do. Certainly buying grape juice and bread yeast would have been simpler. But...Homercidal reminds me of privacy issues...where would I have kept the stuff while it bubbled? That would have been the biggest issues.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Yes, I know there are homebrewing laws.

And, while I am sure there are some conscientious store owners, there is nothing illeagal about buying malt, hops, and yeast so ther is nothing to stop some a minor.

But just wait, the first time a story about some kids making hooch dies from alcohol poisoning, and we'll will begin to see MUCH stricter regulations of the materials necessary to brew.
Sadly that's all it takes is one dumba$$ to die from overuse of anything and it's time to ban that! The biggest problem with the world is we protect idiots from themselves instead of letting natural selection run its course and the result is a gene pool that is increasingly stupid.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

A recent idiocy that's been in the news lately in SoCal (got enough attention for Colbert to pick it up) is kids getting drunk on hand sanitizer and being hospitalized. Apparently a few geniuses at some L.A. high school realized that Purell contains a rather high level of alcohol and decided to start swigging it. A few of them were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning because teenagers are idiots and the local news has been trying to make it sound like an epidemic. You've got news anchors warning parents to "keep hand sanitizer out of the reach of your teenagers" and warning about how readily available this product is. Take that and extrapolate a scenario where one group of teenagers is caught fermenting their own wine. After the news makes it sound like an epidemic parent groups will get involved and you'll have to put your name on a national registry to buy a packet of brewers yeast like you do to buy sudafed.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
atom
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i was thinking about how in high school, we were all so desperate for booze.
i wasn't...

Quick Reply