Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boosting with brown sugar in secondary; who does it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
ahoym8e
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boosting with brown sugar in secondary; who does it?

My last 3 batches I have added about 1.3 (packed) cups of organic brown sugar to the secondary. I boiled the sugar in the water I used to top off my secondary after transferring from primary.

I was real pleased with the flavor results of the first 2 (one AAPA, and a dry hopped munich dunkel ale, and I just yesterday did it again with an "angry Irish Red Ale."

I actually got pretty violent fermentation last night, with krausen in the airlock. I will have to transfer to tertiary fermenter in about a week or two.

I wouldn't do it on a pilsener or a cream ale or whatnot, but with the darker, maltier beers I really like the results.

Anyone else do this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

No, although I have added brown sugar late in the primary fermentation for a barleywine, just to reduce initial osmodic pressure.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

When you say boosting i am guessing you are refering to the ABV, right? I cant think of any other reason to do this. Ive added a bit of fermentables in the secondary to push O2 out of the carboy headspace cause im paranoid, but no, i just shoot for my FG at the boil.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Done it on Belgos with excellent results.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Quick Reply