Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Books or info about brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
skyzo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Books or info about brewing

Hi all, Iv'e been brewing for right around a year now, and now my final essay for one of my college courses required us to pick a topic and write about it. So, of course I chose brewing beer, and wrote a nice 10 page paper all about it. Got it back, got a perfect grade, but now we are required to write another 10 page essay on a problem that has to do with the first essay. So, the instructor suggested I write about the problem of the 2 big brewing companies here in America taking over all the small breweries and making it pretty much a monopoly business. Is there any good books or documentries I can research more about this and find numbers and statistics? (already watched Beer Wars)
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3486

Maureen Ogle's book Ambitious Brew is the best and most historically accurate of American Beer History books out there;

http://www.amazon.com/Ambitious-Brew.../dp/0151010129

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

Quote:
November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br12-07-06.mp3
Her blog archive has a lot of material covering the imbev takeover or Anheiseur Bush as well as stuff that didin't make it into here original book, so I encourage you to dig through that as well.

http://maureenogle.com/blog/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm thinking that a paper on beer laws might be easier. There are a lot of laws that make it difficult for small breweries to get their beer to the consumer, or for people to open breweries and brew pubs.

sorry I dont have any recommendations on the topic you are looking for.

damn I gotta brew something

Quick Reply