Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Book: "The Home Brewer's Recipe Database"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Default Book: "The Home Brewer's Recipe Database"

Has anybody read this book? If so, what do you think of it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1409292258/...17850_pe_ar_t1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I have not but the description sounds like "Designing Great Beers" http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Grea...ef=pd_sim_b_16

I haven't read that either but it came highly recommended and I bought a copy. I plan to read it when I finish "New Brewing Lager Beer" http://www.amazon.com/New-Brewing-La...ref=pd_sim_b_9

Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's been a while since I read Designing Great Beers, but this sounds similar. Although, the book you are asking about sounds like it might give a little more practical application type info. If I remember correctly, designing great beer does more describing of ingredients, giving examples of styles, history, some equations. More information than application, but like I said it's been a while since I read it.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Yeah, I have a copy of Designing Great Beers, it is style orientated.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The author of the book was interviewed on BBR, I forget when. You may want to listen to it.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #6
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yep, listen to the BBR interview. It's a book packed with recipe information. However, it does not necessarily contain a complete recipe for every beer. What the author has done is collect as much data as he can on a commercial beer and provided you the bare bones data to get you started cloning the recipe on your own. On the BBR interview he reviews the process he uses when faced with cloning a recipe, not sure if he also includes his system in the book. However, it sounded interesting to me and it's currently on my Amazon wish list. So, I'm thinking about picking it up at some point.

Oh, also, I think the author did an article on real ale clones in the last issue of BYO.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply