Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boiling ten gallons!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Boiling ten gallons!

So, my first attempt at a 10 gallon batch i did yesterday. Everything went smooth. I mashed inside, hit all the temps. Lugged about 13 1/2 gallons outside to the garage where it was 3 degrees. turned on the space heater and fired up the hurricane burner. it took almost an hour and a half to get it to a small rolling boil. nothing huge, no huge hot break.
When i do 5 gallon batchs i can boil off 3 gallons in the first hour, so that is why i collected the 13 1/2 gallons. Since i didnt have a huge boil, due to amount of ambient temp, i ended up with 12 gallons of brew. as such my ABV is going to be a bit lower than i wanted (4.7%) but the good news is i acheived 82% efficiency

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Perhaps the humidity had something to do with it? I commend you though. I am in the Seattle area. My brew buddy and myself brave the 20 degree cold of our abnormally chilly winter and feel accomplished. You, sir, are hardcore.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Reverend JC

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, i have to admit, if I had brew in the kegs right now I would not have been out there!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
alemonkey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey, Rev - I did my first 10 gallon yesterday too. Luckily my garage is insulated. With the burners going it was about 30 degrees in there. I mashed in the garage, and my new mash tun ( 70 quart Coleman xtreme cooler) only lost 3 degrees in an hour and a half.

You should look into these burners http://www.agrisupplyco.com/cgi-bin/...295.000000&l=1

I bought two of them for my new sculpture. I'm not sure how long it took to boil, but I fired the burner up halfway through the sparge and it didn't seem like it took long at all (maybe 15 minutes).

Old 02-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Reverend JC

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, by the time i was done and with the burner and the space heater my garage was up to about 35 or so. It wasnt too bad, at least i will have beer soon.

Quick Reply