Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boiling with finished beer instead of water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
smoutela
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Boiling with finished beer instead of water

I have been trying to think of a new idea in the world of homebrew and had a thought that I am interested in experimenting with. Also interested to hear of any thoughts/input HBT members might have as far what direction I should take with the first experimentation.

What I am looking to attempt is to use an already fermented beer in place of water during the boil. For experimentation sake, I would think starting off with an extract recipe first to keep things a simple for now would be ideal.

Wondering how a finished beer in place of water during the boil would affect the final flavor, body, and chemistry of the final outcome of this experiment. Since the alcohol from the original beer would be boiled off, that atleast wouldnt factor into the final beer. Besides that, I;m having a hard time trying to imagine any other issues to think about before hand.

Any thoughts on possible process or even beer styles to try to start with ?

Would be interesting as to how a pale ale (as the water for boil) might change the final outcome of a slightly hoppy brown ale recipe !??! Or even how IBU;s from the original recipe carry over to the new finished beer !?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
robbiex0r
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds... expensive. And unpredictable. You'd probably boil away most of the alcohol. Something wonky would happen with your existing hops and the utilization of your additional hops.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
smoutela
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiex0r View Post
Sounds... expensive. And unpredictable. You'd probably boil away most of the alcohol. Something wonky would happen with your existing hops and the utilization of your additional hops.
Might be a decent alternative to dumping a batch of beer that might not have come out to your liking or thats been taking up space in your keg or carboy for too long... And yes, cost wise it wouldn't make sense when you first think about, but my intention isn't to invent a new way of making affordable homebrew with this experiment.

If the final outcome is of some major significance, homebrewers have their own discretion to go by whether its worth it or not. I think its an interesting concept that is worth discussing.

Just as you said, the hop utilization question brings up an interesting topic to think about... Maybe using less hops in the "secondary" boil recipe would be a smart decision for example.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

I can't think of a worse use of beer. I'd rate using it for snail bait higher. All that will carry over is the bitterness, unfermentable sugars, and the color. Hop flavor, aroma and alcohol will boil off. Unfermentable sugars will further caramelize. Utilization and subsequent IBUs will be impossible to calculate. Instead of having two batches of drinkable beer, you'll have some horrible sludge.

But, it's your time, your money, and your beer. Have fun.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
SusieBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hmmm. The alcohol will boil off as mentioned; before you added anything you would have a >1.000 gravity and the gravity would increase as the beer stock came to a boil; hop aroma/flavor would intensify; the original yeast would die. I think you would be boiling your extract in thin extract. What do the rest of think?

Susie

Dry Creek Brewing

Enjoying: Saison de Jardin, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale and Hefeweizen, White House Honey Ale

Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Soma
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Green Flash's 'PALATE WRECKER' double IPA is brewed this way I believe.

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers.php

Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 49

It seems like the boil pH would be lower than optimal, since finished beer has a pH of 4-4.5. You want your boil pH to be about 5.4. I don't know how much the extract would pull the pH up though. If the boil pH got too low the yeast might pull the finished pH down too low.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #8
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

It'll probably cause cancer and destroy all your equipment shortly before exploding.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

You could get your final preboil volume, run another 7 gallons through your tun again, then use that for your mash water on your next batch.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've wondered about what would happen myself. Try it! Let us know! You could just use something light and water cheap like BMC and call it ascension.

Quick Reply