HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boiling on electric stove

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
azezpz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Boiling on electric stove

How many gallons is the rough maximum I should boil at once on an electric stove. I live in an apartment, so using a propane burner isn't exactly a viable option, but I was hoping to do a full boil this weekend if possible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
mustangracer
Recipes 

If you have a big enough pot, boil it all

Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
LuckyRVA
Recipes 

I think it depends on your stove mostly. I've read other people on here getting 8+ gallons to boil on an electric range (perhaps it was gas?).

Toss some water in there before the weekend and test it out.

1. Bottled - IPA
2. Fermenter - Pumpkin Dubbel

Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah depends on the stove and how it's hooked up, if hooked up to 110 it won't work so well, 220 and your're okay. When I used to boil on the stove I could do as much as 4 gallons but it took a while to get up to 212F. Another option is to split your batch into two pots, that'll work as well but is a bit of a pain.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts

I think my stove is 30A, 220 V and I had 11 gallons at 200 yesterday (after a couple hours of one burner not being fully on) That was my strike and sparge water though (I set it up before I left for a few hours and turned it on low and slow,) soooo I ended up boiling about 8 gallons or so. If you have a big enough pot and can span it across 2 burners you're much better off.

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
enaz32
Recipes 

Yea you can do it, just takes forever.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I can boil ~7.5 gallons in at most 40 minutes (seems more like 30 but it's hard to tell cuz I don't go from tap to boiling right away), though I did purchase a canning element to replace the large coil on my stove (it outputs more heat than the standard element). That was about $20 or so. I place the pot on both the large coil and half the back coil so I can use both.

The key is good insulation. I thought about a jacket or something for the pot but decided that'd be too difficult for me to pull off, plus most of the heat is lost either going out from the sides underneath the pot or into the metal of the stove itself. My cheap strategy is to remove both element, place a 'vertical' layer of foil down into both holes, then place 'horizontal' layers of foil across each one. I put the elements back into place by punching holes in the foil and inserting them like normal, then the pot goes on top and the excess foil gets turned up, basically creating a "bowl" of foil that that pot and coils are sitting inside of.

I just take a couple more large strips of foil and wrap them around the pot maybe with an extra layer across the bottom. This way, sooooo much heat that is normally lost is transferred into your wort instead!

I save as much of the foil as I can and reuse it, but eventually it winds up tearing and I have to use new foil. The foil that goes underneath the coils always gets ruined though.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It all depends on your stove. I can roll 7.5 gallons easy - on a slicktop. It's a beast.

Try it with water first - if you can get the water to a vigorous boil, you're good.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 11-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #9
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

My stove too forever to get 3 gallons up to a boil but that was a * electric one. Id give it a go but if it was me id move house and get a bigger set up

Old 11-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Prime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Unfortunately You have to test to know what your stove can handle. Hopefully you won't be like me. I can't boil more than 4 gallons on my stove and to do that I have to straddle 2 burners. I can't wait for this thing to die so I can replace it.

Quick Reply