Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boil off percentage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
eppo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Boil off percentage

I'm just curious what you guys are using as your boil off percentage, if your using a keggle, or i guess any 15 gallon brew pot should be similar.
the default in beersmith is 9%, which for me is a bit low, i tried 12, and i think that's too high.
I'm going to try 11 this time, unless i get some sort of overwhelming response here.
Thanks

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It is really going to be trial and error (imo). The temperature outside and how vigourous your boil is play a part too. Good luck... I still suck at figuring this out.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

The best thing to do is make a calibrated brew stick to measure your volumes pre boil and post boil for an exact measure.

Evaporation/boil off will be different depending on the conditions, cold dry is usually more and hot humid is usually less. You will have some variation also depending upon the depth and surface area of you Bk. I use a 10g BK that is as wide as tall and on average lose 1-1.25g per hour

Wort also shrinks as it cools so you need to calculate your shrinkage as well. It may take you a couple batches of measuring to get your average.

I actually created 3 different equipment profiles depending upon the season with the average appropriate numbers plugged in based on observed/measured results

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did read that the boil off is a consant, so when I brew tomorrow I'm going to measure the exact boil off to use as a guesstimate.

Quick Reply