New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boil-off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Boil-off

Good morning everyone,

Is there a reason I should boil without a lid? I add additional water to compinsate for the loss but would like to stop it.. When I do a 10 gallon batch, I add an extra gallon for this purpose but does it help in some way?

The only thing I can think is that it could serve to concintrate the wort a bit..

Thoughts?

Brewing up a better quote!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Pecafaced
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Boiling without a lid allows you to get rid of DMS which can cause some off flavors

Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pecafaced hit it on the head. It sounds like you stumbled across the technique most all-grain brewers (and pro for that matter) use in that water usage is calculated with a boil-off amount counted in. The amount of water in the boil affects the concentration of the wort and thus hop utilization. You can top-off with sanitized water after the boil, but you (technically) would need to adjust your recipe if you were trying to hit particular numbers or replicate a beer. Why not just add extra water in the beginning and let it be sanitized with the rest of the wort? More volume lengthens your cooling time, but not by that much when you're talking about 10% volume change in most cases in AG. Extract brewers usually experience a 60% increase in post-boil and fermentation volumes (3 gal + 2 gal = 5 gal) and this defintiely affects recipe formulation and cooling time. So much to consider! Don't sweat it. Take good readings everytime you brew and you'll settle into a pattern. And, if you like your beer, RDWHAHB

Cheers

Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Yep, you want to boil without a lid. Otherwise, you run risks of DMS in your beer, whicih gives you canned corn/canned veggie taste.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 268 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Yup, you always want to boil without a lid, and should be starting with more liquid than you need to go into the fermentor. Boiloff rate is usually between 10 and 15% per hour, but will vary with your vessel.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply