Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > bock class

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
drengel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default bock class

last night i took a class with a local brewmaster about bocks. it was really cool, 2 hours long and only 5 people ion the class. we talked a lot about the history of bock beer, which was very very interesting, and did some tasting.

we started with a 'bock lite' of sorts, AKA shiner bock. well i grew up on this beer, so that part wasn't so interesting for me, but it was cool to taste it side by side with german bocks. then we went to a paulaner marzen/oktoberfest. this was only in there because he couldn't find a maibock, and he said the overall profile was similar to a lighter bock. tasted right after a shiner you realize just how good this beer is, which is one i haven't drinken in years. then we went to doppelbocks. we started with spaten optimator, which was 3rd on my list of the 4 doppelbocks. then the salvator, which was very good, not as sweet as i remembered, but not as good as the next beer, which was celebrator, hands down the best doppelbock i've had. last of the doppelbocks was an american bastardized version of the style, sam adams double bock. didn't like this one, to sweet, too heavy on the caramel, almost like a cough syrup consistency, with a little wet cardboard on the end. my least favorite and a beer i hope to never taste again. we ended with a green version of the brewers X-rock bock pulled right out of the secondary. this was nice, a little sulfury/eggy, but its gonna be good in a month or so. this was a great evening, next month is IPA's, which should be even better.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #2
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i've only had salvador's dopplebock, and i love it. i am going to brew up a dopple when i get a fridge converted over for lagering.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah the class convinced me to try a 'doppelmock' i.e. a doppelbock recipe but brewed with clean ale yeast and lagered for a long time. maybe first i'll try a maimock or a mocktoberfest.

try the celebrator, well worth the 10 bucks for a six (or is it 4?) pack.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

Old 02-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I've seen the Celebrator at the local fancy gourmet grocery...I'll have to try one. Sounds like a great series of classes!

Old 02-23-2006, 06:31 PM   #5
bobbyc

Recipes 

That Celebrator comes in 4-packs where I've seen it, with those nice little plastic goat charms around the neck. Delicious beer. Anyone ever see it in larger bottles?

I wish there were classes like that around here!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #6
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

4 packs, thats right. thats why i never buy it...10$ for a four pack is something a poor college kid like myself can only afford once or twice a year. i've never seen it in larger bottles, just the four pack.

the class was awesome, it was a anninversary gift from my girlfriend, and i was really glad that it was all about bocks and the next one is IPA. the ad just said one lager class, one ale class, and i wasn't particularly enthused about the lager class, that is until i found out it was just about bocks. i hope the class will continue on with more styles...its not a bad deal for 20 bucks a class.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The original doppelbock season starts this year on March 1st (Ashwednesday) and ends on good Friday, wich is the time of lent for catholic christians. Definately a great beer style.

Kai

Old 02-23-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

kai

looking at your sig i can tell you must hate german beers.

Old 02-24-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i love Optimator, so I must try celebrator

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Old 02-24-2006, 01:05 AM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drengel
kai

looking at your sig i can tell you must hate german beers.
Sure do

The only american style beer that I currently have, the SNPA clone, did not come out good at all. The bitterness is way to hash. This might be a problem with the Perle hops that I used. But this is certainly a style that I want to improve on as well.

Kai

Quick Reply