Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Boat Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
mysteryberto
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can use the whole ocean as your wort chiller. Course if you're in the Bahamas you might find it a little harder.

Primary: All grain pale ale, Pliny The Elder clone
Bottled:Double Noogie IPA, Amber Ale
Kegged: Brewcraft Dead Guy kit,Apfelwein, Raspberry wheat beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4687 Times on 4343 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozecruise View Post
Hey Gila
Holy sh#t are you speaken russian? Ive surely got alote to learn about the brewen process..but on the pluse side I have the drinken part down patI'm gonna have to bottle it for storage reasons(cant keep a keg cold)unless I were to keg it and then fill a jug say a gallon at a time and then chill it.
BC
The jockey box doe the chillin cap'n.

This deck hands gotcher stern completely covered with my final suggestion. That'll leave you to the navigatin' and drinkin' parts.

Heck, I'll step that up one more. When in port I'll hang back on the yacht with your wife, I...I...I...I mean the beer, the beer.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Boozecruise
Recipes 

Dataz
Good idea. I never thought of adding another cold plate. The dont draw to much juice. Kinda like a heat exchanger but cold.
BC

Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #14
JVD_X
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

speaking from first hand experience... There is no way you will have room for a keg on the boat. 2nd... Temperature is going go kill you - you will be lucky to keep the daily temperature below 90 in the cabin unless you plan on running a/c which won't happen.

- JVD_X

Old 10-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No, this just isn't fair. You are in no way allowed to have your cake and eat it to. Not while there is still air in my lungs damnit!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #16
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Brewme
Now that you mention it the guy who was brewen on the boat had a cat.
I know what you mean about the cats$$$$$ a semi decent one runs damn near a half mill. We've done some bare boats in the carrib. and loved it and dont plan on retiring on it. The max would be four to five years or till we get sick of it.
BC
After reading your profile sounds like we got a lote in common..changing hobbies like underwear. LOL

1/2 mill for a blue water cat that is big enough to brew on? No way. You are easily talking 1.5

You would be best off brewing applewine in gallon jugs one at a time. Stuff not related to the boat and not absolutely essentional for acfossing needs to take up the space of a large duffle.

- JVD_X

Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Brewme
Now that you mention it the guy who was brewen on the boat had a cat.
I know what you mean about the cats$$$$$ a semi decent one runs damn near a half mill. We've done some bare boats in the carrib. and loved it and dont plan on retiring on it. The max would be four to five years or till we get sick of it.
BC
After reading your profile sounds like we got a lote in common..changing hobbies like underwear. LOL
I love sailing and I move cats; problem is I will never afford a cat. $500k is the minimum for a USED cat and then plan on thousands in maintenance a year. I think a house on the beach (with room for my microbrewery) and a 16' Hobie cat is what I want now. But who knows, life changes and so do my needs/wants!

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Old 10-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

All I can say is "Wow." Good luck, and have fun, as I have nary a clue how to make it work.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #19
JVD_X

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post
I love sailing and I move cats; problem is I will never afford a cat. $500k is the minimum for a USED cat and then plan on thousands in maintenance a year. I think a house on the beach (with room for my microbrewery) and a 16' Hobie cat is what I want now. But who knows, life changes and so do my needs/wants!
I didn't mean to discourage you... although it may have sounded that way. You certainly need to chase those dreams. You can get a really good new cat from performance cruising for $170,000 and a used one for $50-60K but they would not be my first choice from blue water cruising... although they can be well built.

For long-term cruising you need sooo much space in the boat for stowage of day-today backups (think multiple sets of sails, extra props, guys, lines, and on-and-on) for those items that are particular for your boat that you can;t easily find or fashion by yourself.

I just don't see how you would be able to find the space for brewing. There are a lot of campgrounds around the Caribbean that you could hook for the two or three weeks necessary for a descent fermentation but keeping that wort cool would be trouble but if you were cruising the St. Lawrence you might have trouble keeping it warm enough.

However, if you can get primary fermentation done at a campground and in a plastic bucket for secondary you might be able to pull it off.

- JVD_X

Quick Reply