Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BMC Crowd-Pleaser Recipe Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default BMC Crowd-Pleaser Recipe Suggestions

I'm providing beer for a wedding reception in January that will host upwards of 50-75 people, with the vast majority of the beer consumers present being unaccustomed to craft brews. What have folks out there used for this type of situation in the past in order to provide drinks that will leave everyone, if not happy, at least content? My thought is 4 5-gallon batches covering a range of styles (I haven't decided yet if I'll try to do a mobile tap setup or just bottles, but I'm leaning toward the former); the groom specifically requested a red, which is nice as I'm pleased with a red recipe I've done several times in the past. I'm considering the following selections:

* BM's Centennial Blonde: I've made a half dozen batches of this over the years, and it always seems to go terrifically.
* Orfy's mild: Been on my list for a while, but haven't gotten it done yet. I may do a trial batch first to see how it goes.
* Irish red: My own recipe; may not please everyone, but I and the groom will be happy, so there's that.
* Wit: I have a recipe I've done several times that has been well-received in most cases, but largely by craft drinkers. This one may be up for replacement.

Any other suggestions or words of warning? I've never supplied such a large crowd before and while I doubt I'll get much negative feedback regardless (gathering is largely family), I'd like to do my best to get everyone happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Kolsch maybe?

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4246 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Biermuncher's "Cream of Three Crops" recipe!!!!!

I made it for my dad and brother who think the best beer in the universe is MGD, and they loved it. And it had enough flavor that I loved it too.

neosapien Likes This 
Old 10-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

I would replace the Wit with a Kolsch, an Alt, or a C3C.
You may also want to replace the Mild; I would think that the goal may have to be to make low alcohol, easy drinking (dry), and highly carbonated brews?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Phyrst
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I make a raspberry wheat that's a big hit with my friends that aren't craft brew drinkers. I've had people who don't even like beer tell me they like it.

It's just 6.5 lbs wheat extract. 1 oz hallertau hops for 60 mins. German Wheat 3333 yeast, and dump in a bottle of raspberry extract at bottling or kegging time. Super simple and people love it.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A well done wit would satisfy the Blue Moon/Shock Top crowd. My wife does not like hoppy beer and drinks my kolsch which is a great, easy drinking ale that really tastes like a lager. Cream Ale or Blonde Ale are also good candidates.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just buy them the bud light they want and provide delicious beer for those who care. Personally I'm done trying to convert people that aren't open minded enough to try new things(and actually give them a chance) that they may love. Craft beer is expensive enough at its current demand level.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Phyrst
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
Just buy them the bud light they want and provide delicious beer for those who care. Personally I'm done trying to convert people that aren't open minded enough to try new things(and actually give them a chance) that they may love. Craft beer is expensive enough at its current demand level.
With all respect, this is not the advice he asked for. He was asked to provide craft brew for his friend's wedding, and he wants to make beer everyone will enjoy and remember for a long time. I know a lot of my friends wrinkle their nose when they come to my house and I offer them an IPA or a stout, but I enjoy the challenge of making a beer my BMC friends enjoy drinking. I want them to look forward to coming over to my house and drinking good beer when I invite them. Not feeling like they have to bring their own or drink Coke. That's just me.

Last edited by Yooper; 10-15-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: one remark removed/uncalled for.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrst View Post
With all respect, this is not the advice he asked for. He was asked to provide craft brew for his friend's wedding, and he wants to make beer everyone will enjoy and remember for a long time. I know a lot of my friends wrinkle their nose when they come to my house and I offer them an IPA or a stout, but I enjoy the challenge of making a beer my BMC friends enjoy drinking. I want them to look forward to coming over to my house and drinking good beer when I invite them. Not feeling like they have to bring their own or drink Coke. That's just me.
I answered his question in a round about way. His question is what beers he should make, I told him to make beer for his good beer audience and not to worry about making a beer for BMC drinkers, buy them BMC.

BTW, I go out of my way to have bud light at my house for BMC drinkers despite the fact that none of them go out of their way to provide me with a beverage I like to drink when I visit their house.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
cookstownbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

If you have the time and the means to do one I would suggest actually brewing a lager. Despite the caution of many on here brewing a good lager really isn't that hard as long as you can control your temperatures. I consider lagers a gateway beer for BMC loving friends, it doesn't take long to get them interested in the other beers I make after that.

Tap 1: Flying Monkey Smashbomb IPA Clone (with slight modifications)
Tap 2: St. Amber Ale
Bottled: Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale, St. Amber Ale, Adam Oatesmeal Bourbon Oak Aged Stout, Smashbomb IPA Clone, Smashing Pumpkin Ale
Fermenter #1 - Jalapeño Cream Ale
Fermenter #2 - Centennial Blonde

Quick Reply