Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BMC in a brewpub, WTF?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Skins_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BMC in a brewpub, WTF?

Ok, so today, i went to a brewpub in Gaithersburg, MD. called Growlers (I am sure some of the MD people here know the joint). I get there and get a sampler and all of the beers and they were all pretty good. Better then Rock bottom and gordon Biersch type places. Well, i order up a pint of one of the brews and look down at the bar (i was sitting upstairs and i could see the bar through the glass enclosed brew room) and there is a lone guy sitting there drinking a miller lite. Ok i think, maybe he came here for the food. Understandable. 40 minutes and 3 pints later he is still there drinking a miller lite and has no food. I came to the determination that this guy came by himself to this great brew pub to drink miller lite. I told SWMBO that i just did not understand why that guy would do that. I understand why this place would carry BMC (for people who might come in a party with someone who loves microbrews but may not care for it themselves). Anyway, i was just amazed at the fact that the lone guy was just sitting there by himself drinking a miller lite. Its the equivalent in my opinion to going to a steakhouse that is known for its awesomeness and ordering shrimp scampi. When i was leaving, i noticed a similar lone individual at the bar who was eating a basket of chicken tenders and drinking wine. Again, every thing above applies to that guy aswell. I am not trying to say you have to drink beer if you come to a brewpub, but what the hell?

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 AM   #2
mrfocus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You should of went up to him and offered him a nice pint of the house ale/lager... Proper thing to do I believe.

On tap: Maudite clone, Double Munchen, Oktoberfeast, Oktoberfest Pilsner
Planning: Brewed in 2011: 22 (2010: 15, 2009: 29, 2008: 21, 2007: 1)
Wine made in 2010: 6 kits (2009: 19, 2008: 30)

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ah I know the place. Hated it. Very "yuppie" kinda like most of Gaithersburg

Old 04-14-2008, 03:55 AM   #4
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I'm going to go on record here with what is probably an unpopular opinion.

Drink what you like. That applies to me, SWMBO, the guy down the bar, and somebody I don't know three states to the east. That means, if somebody likes BMC (and face it, a lot of people do), then that's what they should drink. Anything else is pure snobbery. Sure, I'd rather kick back with a pint of my latest creation, but that has no bearing on what anybody else should like or dislike.

Hell, I've had plenty of BMC in my time, and will definitely have more in the future. Does that make me an idiot? Nope.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

...new meaning for BMC...Bland, Mediocre and Cheap...

Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28
"yuppie" kinda like most of Gaithersburg
LOL! Yeah kind of
On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 04-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Redskins, there is nothing you can do for those people. The brew master at Growlers probably hates them more than anyone.

I actually like the place. Yuppie or not. DFH Ale House down the street isn't anymore or less yuppie-fied. You'll find great beers and food at both.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Sadly the brewpup in Port Huron sells more BMC than Micro-brews. Even though it makes great beer, and has decent food, it, like most of Port Huron, caters to the boater crowd. The barstaff isn't happy about it, and it sickens me not to see people at least TRYING a sampler. But the owner of the pub knows the trade in town...He knows what he needs to do to survive in this town. Most independant restaraunts in Port Huron don't last, especially in the old downtown district. On the North end of town it's all the mall, big box stores and chain resteraunts, even though the core where I live, and frequent the brew pup and a hanfudl of other bars, is right on the water.

So although I don't like it, I can't really fault him for doing what he can to stay afloat when other places in the neighborhood keep folding... the place is always packed year round.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
TheOceaneer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds
Drink what you like. That applies to me, SWMBO, the guy down the bar, and somebody I don't know three states to the east. That means, if somebody likes BMC (and face it, a lot of people do), then that's what they should drink. Anything else is pure snobbery. Sure, I'd rather kick back with a pint of my latest creation, but that has no bearing on what anybody else should like or dislike.
No. We should judge them, and judge them harshly. They are philistines, with no place in proper human society. We should judge them, and shun them. And burn them.

But in all seriousness: I live in a small, "rural" town, where drinkers of real beer are vastly outnumbered by drinkers of BMC, forcing me to become a closet beer snob. I have to constantly supress the urge to say something like "Good lord! Who would drink that swill?" for fear of getting my butt kicked by a life-long Coors drinker.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FWIW at my local "beer bar" the BMC offerings basically pay the rent.

Quick Reply