Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Blueberry Wheat Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
Nike_Eayrs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Blueberry Wheat Beer

I am working on a blueberry wheat beer recipe, and have seen some different opinions on the "blueberry" flavoring. Some people say that the blended berries ferment out and are left a little bitter. Others say that berry extract gives an off flavor. My plan was to brew a simple wheat recipe. Crush, strain, and reduce 1lb of blueberries and add them the last 5 min. At bottling add .5-1oz of extract to help carry the flavor. Any ideas on how to tweak this idea? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you will probably ned more that 1lb to get any flavor. As a rule 2-3lbs per gallon works. I like the idea of the extract at bottling though - its really hard to get that blueberry nose when you ferment it out. I recently put 5 lbs of blueberries and 1 jar of blueberry preserves in a 3 gallon batch - it's got some nose but not as much as I expected but its always that way with fruit beers.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
ziggy13
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone ever try making a blueberry puree with their blender to add to a beer? I'm going to try here soon but I'm not sure how many lbs of blueberries I would need to use in the puree to taste anything.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Ziggy, I was planning on doing something like a puree. My thought was to put blueberries in a food processor, strain out the skin and stuff, then simmer it to cook off some of the water. Then add the concentrate at 5 min left in the boil. After seeing the first post, I'm thinking 5lbs of berries for a 5 gallon batch.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
MrOH
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Trader Joe's has a 100% Blueberry Juice that could probably work. If you're not doing full boils, use it to top up, and then you could also probably use it as a source of sugars to carbonate (you'll have to take the reading and do the math yourself).

I recently made a honey ale with blueberry honey that has a hint of blueberry in the back, but it may just be the power of suggestion on that one.

Peace and bacon grease

Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
zole2112
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a little late to this thread but here is what I used for my Blueberry Wheat:

American Wheat beer recipe, take your pick, I went light on the hops.

Ferment in primary for 8 or 9 days.

7.5 lbs of frozen Michigan blueberries...Left them thaw and then I used a potato masher to crush them and release the juice.

Racked 5 gallons from the primary onto the blueberries in the secondary.

Left it on the blueberries for 3 weeks and bottled.

Tasted delicious , it was a big hit at my daughter's wedding. My wife wants a little more blueberry flavor (I thought it was a nice balance), so I'm about to rack the American Wheat I'm fermenting onto 10 lbs of frozen blueberries today.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

In secondary for sure, I used a gallon of blueberry juice for a 5 gallon batch, it needed more. Wish I added about 3 lbs of crushed blueberries on top of that.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I use blueberry extract. Unlike cherry extract, which tends to taste like cherry cough drops, blueberry extract tastes like blueberries.

Kegged a batch Saturday. I try to ramp up the wheat flavor, so I get a beer that is a lot like a blueberry muffin.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
snyklez
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've got the same idea. Just brewed a 3 gallon wheat Saturday, plan on making it a blueberry. My plan, get about a pound of frozen blueberries, purée and add to primary after a week (secondary's in use). I also bought extract at the homebrew store to add at bottling. I'm adding the actual fruit basically just to say there's real blueberry in it, but so many threads I read exclaimed how difficult it was to nail the flavor with fruit alone. So, that's where the extract comes in.

Quick Reply