HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Blue, Blue Christmas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
paint_it_black
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Blue, Blue Christmas

About a month ago, I moved from the Pacific Northwest, capital of microbreweries and craft ales, to England, capital of "real ale" -- which, don't get me wrong, is an admirable movement, but let's be honest, they're just hardly-hopped, bland pale ales, with no carbonation and not served cold enough. (Apologies to my fellow Brits -- chalk it up to cultural difference and preference) And it gets worse: if you're not going to a pub that serves real ale; if you're going to a regular bar, or if you're buying bottled/canned beer, the selection is terrible. Unless you love Carlsberg and Carling (UK Coors Light).

So I'm already going through withdrawals, and long for a nicely hopped ale. But worse times are to come. Because I know that very soon, all you folks back home will be enjoying some wonderful winter warmers and other seasonal beers. To think of enduring the coming winter without a Widmer Brrr or Deschutes Jubelale -- hell, I'd even take a Sierra Nevada Celebration -- is just so depressing, I might not make it through the cold season.

Please continually enjoy those fine beers for me while I'm here across the pond. And if you feel generous and want to send me some, I wouldn't object :P

Updates on new winter seasonals that come out would be cool. You can tell which are my favourites from reading above; how do any of those brews that are just entering the market compare? I have to live vicariously through you guys, so give me info, so I at least know what to look for next year

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

simple solution: make your own. There are tons of brits that brew.

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I knowwww, but I'm only living here for 9 months and don't want to buy all the gear and then have to get rid of it again (not to mention I'm a poor college student who can't afford it). And I haven't met other homebrewers yet.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_it_black View Post
About a month ago, I moved from the Pacific Northwest, capital of microbreweries and craft ales, to England, capital of "real ale" -- which, don't get me wrong, is an admirable movement, but let's be honest, they're just hardly-hopped, bland pale ales, with no carbonation and not served cold enough. (Apologies to my fellow Brits -- chalk it up to cultural difference and preference) And it gets worse: if you're not going to a pub that serves real ale; if you're going to a regular bar, or if you're buying bottled/canned beer, the selection is terrible. Unless you love Carlsberg and Carling (UK Coors Light).

So I'm already going through withdrawals, and long for a nicely hopped ale. But worse times are to come. Because I know that very soon, all you folks back home will be enjoying some wonderful winter warmers and other seasonal beers. To think of enduring the coming winter without a Widmer Brrr or Deschutes Jubelale -- hell, I'd even take a Sierra Nevada Celebration -- is just so depressing, I might not make it through the cold season.

Please continually enjoy those fine beers for me while I'm here across the pond. And if you feel generous and want to send me some, I wouldn't object :P

Updates on new winter seasonals that come out would be cool. You can tell which are my favourites from reading above; how do any of those brews that are just entering the market compare? I have to live vicariously through you guys, so give me info, so I at least know what to look for next year
No offence, but you're flippin crazy. First, hardly-hopped, bland pale ales with no carbonation and not served cold enough? You are obviously among the unenlightened. I think most of us over here would love to spend some time in England where we could walk to the corner pub and enjoy beautifully crafted cask-conditioned ales.

Secondly, you would "even" take a SNCA? You know you are talking about one of the best beers produced in the US right?

My suggestion? Develop a taste for "hardly-hopped, bland pale ales", because you are in the one place in the world they are widely available and done right.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Listen man, I have the seasoned taste buds of an all-grain homebrewer and drinker of quality beer. I know my beer, and I greatly appreciate real ale, as stated above. I have even had some that I've THOROUGHLY enjoyed (please try anything Liverpool Organic Brewing puts out, because it's great). However, this does not change the fact that most of the cask ales I have tried thus far just don't have qualities that stand out, and taste more or less the same; nor does it change the fact that I miss Northwest beers.
As to Celebration, respectfully, I enjoy BRRR more, and see Celebration as a runner up.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Lots of people make good beer without any fancy equipment. You really only need a kettle and a bucket and you're in business.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint_it_black View Post
Listen man, I have the seasoned taste buds of an all-grain homebrewer and drinker of quality beer......
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....you kill me kid. "Highly seasoned?" At 24??????? Come back when you learn how to shave.

I would have maybe cut you some slack and shown a little sympathy until you made that comment. I've been drinking microbrews since there were FIRST Microbrews available, and I STILL have a lot of beer to taste before I would ever throw a line like that out, especially here.

I've got underwear older than you......Heck I've got stains on my underwear that coulda been your older brother...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

bullinachinashop Likes This 
Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

Remember, he came from the Pacific Northwest. After living there, the beers in England must be horribly bland to him. Personally, I would take an English Pale Ale over anything from the Pacific Northwest any day of the week, but to each his own.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
surreal_trip

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ha yaa... I come from a family line of craft brew drinkers... Every male member of my family has been a brewer or done home brewing... I first learned brewing from my grandfather who learned it from his... As someone as young as you I traveled over much of Europe and the Middle East to try different and unusual beers... Yet not many places in North America can match the finely crafted beer even the average street corner pub of London can pull out... You should get out there get over your American ways ha! and try some of those English bitters!!! Enjoy the women as well you won't believe the trouble you can get yourself into with a Brit! On a side note where exactly are you staying because you do know Russian Imperial Stouts are the go to winter brew of the smaller hamlets outside of London right?!?!?!

If I get another assisted living facility email, I'm going to hunt all you down, kill you one by one and then worry about the consequences. - shecky

Old 10-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Remember, he came from the Pacific Northwest. After living there, the beers in England must be horribly bland to him. Personally, I would take an English Pale Ale over anything from the Pacific Northwest any day of the week, but to each his own.
I blame Starbucks for this phenomenon...

I mean, their coffee is severely over-roasted, to the point of charcoal. The denizens of the PNW have spent so much time drinking this bitter stuff (due to the rainy, cold weather, perhaps?) that it has permanently affected their taste buds, much in the way a smoker can't taste much. Therefore, in order to taste their beer, they have to over-hop and the heck out of it.

Quick Reply