Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Blended Beer. Cheating or not?

View Poll Results: For Contests - Is Blending Cheating?
Yes 43 20.98%
No 162 79.02%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #21
northernlad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDirt View Post
BTW, wine is blended due to differing soil conditions, weather, varietals, and climates from whence the grapes come. In the case of beer, we all have access to the same raw materials.
This is so close to true. However, you and I would have to work from the same bag of grain, the same plant of hops and the same vial of yeast. Oh, and the same water.

I sincerely doubt BJCP cares about blending. Newcastle is listed as a commercial example of Northern English Brown. If they gave you crap about blending, this would make your case.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #22
weremichael
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think the article by Gordon Strong on "How to Compete" (or something like that) in Zymurgy is the reason why I think homebrew competitions are a load of bunk. Brew what you want to brew. It's not the beer you brewed and you most certainly can't replicate it if you can't brew it in the first place. He and anyone else who do it for competitions are CHEATERS. If one is really that concerned with making a beer to an exact BJCP style (and blending is the way they accomplish it) then I find it pathetic that they go to that extent to win an award.

As far as blended lambics and British stock ales, they are historically accurate (if that's your thing). That would be acceptable if you compete.

Last edited by weremichael; 01-24-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 01-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #23
brewmasterjjfad
Recipes 

Default BJCP reference

Sections 17a-17c in the 2008 BJCP suggest blending is necessary for the style and is becoming a lost art.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Bull****. Complete bull****.

Taking two ****ty beers and blending them together doesn't magically transform them into something magical. But, if you know that this batch has just not quite enough bitterness, and you've got another batch that's maybe just a bit too bitter, and you work to get the proportions just right... ****, dude, that's an art all by itself. Wineries do this all the time. Major breweries do this all the time, that's what they do when they're constantly sampling the different batches.

If someone makes a batch that's not quite perfect... and they know HOW to fix it, that's 100% OK with me.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #25
weremichael
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterjjfad View Post
Sections 17a-17c in the 2008 BJCP suggest blending is necessary for the style and is becoming a lost art.
i agree, if you play to "Style" then you should only blend the beers where it is "neccessary for the style." Don't go all Gordon Strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Bull****. Complete bull****.

Taking two ****ty beers and blending them together doesn't magically transform them into something magical. But, if you know that this batch has just not quite enough bitterness, and you've got another batch that's maybe just a bit too bitter, and you work to get the proportions just right... ****, dude, that's an art all by itself. Wineries do this all the time. Major breweries do this all the time, that's what they do when they're constantly sampling the different batches.

If someone makes a batch that's not quite perfect... and they know HOW to fix it, that's 100% OK with me.
I am just thinking of brewing for competitions here (not for one's own enjoyment). I could care less what Gordon Strong and the others do for their own buzz. The fact is that it is not the beer they brewed. It's the beer they blended. It might be semantical, but competitions are an exercise in pedantic semantics. And if a style doesn't call for blending (and the brewer (blender) chooses to blend), it IS cheating. Comparing this to wineries is a bogus argument. It is the historic style to blend wines (either grapes or from different barrels) just like many "Styles" of beer.

Last edited by weremichael; 01-24-2010 at 07:56 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 01-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Again, you can argue all day about which EXACT series of steps is "real" brewing while any deviation from that series is hackery and cheating. If you draw the line at blending, why? Maybe I'm cheating because I buy premalted and kilned malts while real brewers malt their own. Oh wait, no, the guy that grows the barley and malts it is the real brewer.. Nevermind, I just found out that he buys his fertilizer. What a hack.

If you can assembled ingredients in a manor that resembles brewing and deliver it to someone who thinks it is an amazing beer, you're the man. If that someone is a judge and that beer fits the style you entered it as, you win. If it was a blend that made it that way, you're not only a good brewer, but you're a good quality control tech too.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #27
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you can assembled ingredients in a manor that resembles brewing and deliver it to someone who thinks it is an amazing beer, you're the man. If that someone is a judge and that beer fits the style you entered it as, you win. If it was a blend that made it that way, you're not only a good brewer, but you're a good quality control tech too.
Well-said as always, Bobby. A lot of brewers wouldn't even know that their beer NEEDED to be "fixed" by blending, much less have the skill to do so effectively.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
weremichael
Recipes 

Quote:
Again, you can argue all day about which EXACT series of steps is "real" brewing while any deviation from that series is hackery and cheating. If you draw the line at blending, why?
I guess because I see the style guide as an historic, rigid guideline.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Then you need to study the history of the guidelines, because you are wrong

Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
. . . Oh wait, no, the guy that grows the barley and malts it is the real brewer.. Nevermind, I just found out that he buys his fertilizer. What a hack.

If you can assembled ingredients in a manor that resembles brewing and deliver it to someone who thinks it is an amazing beer, you're the man. . .
I don't know Bobby. You're going to one extreme. The other would be pouring a commercial beer into an unmarked bottle and sending it off to a competition. Heck, if you’re the guy who decided which one from your local beer mart was best, you deserve to win.

I think, inside, we all know what it takes to brew a good beer. And that doesn’t mean, “I F’ed it up, but if I blend it with this other stuff it might be OK.” If you F it up, you start over!

Quick Reply